Thursday, April 18, 2013

WEAVINGS: Setback? Adventure!


Ever get an answer to prayer that was not exactly what you had in mind? I've been praying for God to revive my adventurous spirit. This is what happened...
 
Last week my daughter and I had a joint speaking engagement in Poteau, Oklahoma. We flew from Columbus to Atlanta, then on to Fort Smith--at least that was the plan.

The plane began to shake, rattle, and roll as we traveled through a thicket of cloud cover. Then the captain's dreaded announcement. Air Traffic Control did not give clearance for us to land. We were rerouted to Little Rock "due to tornadic activity".
 
After landing, the airline announced there would be no flights to Fort Smith until morning. It was a 3 hour drive to our destination. What would YOU do?
  • Ask our host to drive 6 hours round trip to pick us up (a 3 hour wait in the airport)?
  • Rent a car and drive 3 hours through the storm?
  • Wait for the morning flight with the risk of being late for our speaking engagement?
While trying to figure out our best option, Nicole was charging her phone and communicating with our sponsor. I was running back and forth for the latest update. As I approached the gate to be sure that I had heard correctly, a tall gentleman with a Southern drawl looked down at me and asked,
"Ma'am, is that your daughter that you're traveling with?"
I said, "Yes." And the adventure began! He offered us the back seat of a rental car to Fort Smith. His company would foot the bill. He had already teamed with another man from the flight. Sounded like a good deal to me.

It felt like such a role reversal when this mom went back and checked with her daughter about getting into a car with two complete strangers in an airport! But quite honestly, that did not hit me until we were loaded in the car and driving into a hail storm.
 
In the eye of the storm, I began to question my scruples! Driving bumper-to-bumper, we began to share our stories. The driver was an industrial salesman from Nashville. The passenger worked on the Alaskan pipeline but lived in Poteau (what a coincidence?). They were so moved by our story that they could not stop asking questions. They said they had never heard anyone talk openly about sexual abuse. Who would've guessed? This was the first stop in our Breaking the Silence tour.
 
Two hours later, we stopped for dinner. By then, we were laughing and tormenting each other as if family. And we ordered dinner: family style! They shared pictures of their children, talked about their church, wives and lives. They were so kind, true gentlemen. It was obvious both men were Christian.  If we had any doubt, it dissipated when one of them prayed for our meal... and also for us.
 
As I sit here in my office, it all seems surreal. I see how God prepared the way before we even got off the plane. One of the men sat in front of me, though I never saw his face. The other sat across the aisle from him. I noticed him and even asked Nicole if we had met him earlier. She said we hadn't, but there was a familiarity that was unusual. He seemed safe. So, when he approached me in the airport, I felt as though I already knew him.
 
Not only did God prepare the way, he reassured us along the way. When we walked into the restaurant, K-Love Christian radio was playing some favorite worship songs. A reminder that he is always with us, that he will make a way for us.
 
And the bonus? That little restaurant served some of the best Italian food I've ever eaten by the most welcoming waitress I've ever met while dining with some of the best company I've ever kept. It was simply divine...a scene I will not forget.
 
Have you had any God-adventures lately? Or is life feeling way too predictable?
Do tell! We'd love to hear from you!

This song was playing in the restaurant while we shared dinner...a favorite of mine!



_________________________________________

Cindy Stiverson
I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author/activist Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!