Tuesday, February 5, 2013

WEAVINGS: Daily Whispers

WEAVINGS: Daily Whispers
by Cindy Stiverson

"Do everything without arguing or complaining,
so that you may become blameless and pure,
children of God without fault
in a crooked and depraved generation,
in which you shine like stars in the universe..."
Philippians 2:14-15NIV1984

I am so busted when I read this passage! I can still remember the first time I discovered these first five words: "Do everything without arguing or complaining." As pastor, I was leading a time of prayer for our church plant, when "Wham!" Someone read this passage and I was immediately convicted. Six years ago and I still remember it. How could such a small phrase carry such a powerful punch?

I'm guessing it's power comes with the fact that we seek, ask, plead, and beg God for direction. Yet, so often when He answers, it's not what we want to hear. It's not what we want to do. It's not really the answer we were hoping for. Usually, this means the answer requires US to do something, when we were really hoping for God to "Just do it!"

We expect God to reveal the masterplan. When, all the while, the Holy Spirit is daily whispering in our spiritual ears to go here, go there. Say these words to this person, give a hug to that person. Send a note. Write a letter. Make a phone call. Tend to business. We want to do God's will? Well, the Holy Spirit is sending us on a mission every day. But we don't follow through.

How do we know it's the Holy Spirit?
 
If we find ourselves arguing with that internal voice of instruction, then we know it must not be our idea. If it's something that would be pleasing to God and would share His love or further His mission, then we also know it's not "the devil made me do it" either. We can be sure that if it's the devil, it will be something very tempting that we will want to do, but we know we shouldn't.

I cannot count the number of times I have wished I had followed through on the prompting of the Holy Spirit. As events transpired, I could always look back and see that God was preparing me for what was ahead. If I had just done what He had whispered in my ear or placed on my heart and to-do list, I could have avoided many hardships and pitfalls.

In the same way, I cannot count the number of times that I followed the Spirit's prompting and was so glad I did! God is so amazing to give us a heads-up! Let's agree to "do everything without arguing and complaining". Just think of the stories we can share!

And to think that by simply being obedient, He has made it possible for us to
  • become blameless and pure
  • children of God
  • without fault
  • shine like stars in the universe
Sounds like a great plan, doesn't it?

To live at this level of obedience, we must get alone with God every single day. Besides praying and presenting our requests to Him, it requires that we also spend time listening to His requests for us. Just like any other relationship, our conversation with God requires speaking AND listening.

Ahh! I am so excited to hear what God has planned for me, for you!
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has planned for those who love him--but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit (ICor.2:9-10)."
Has God placed a God-sized dream on your heart?
We would love to hear how the Holy Spirit is speaking to you!
Leave a comment...

_________________________________________

I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author/activist Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!