Thursday, January 3, 2013

WEAVINGS: Creating Quiet Spaces

 
WEAVINGS: Creating Quiet Spaces
by Cindy Stiverson

 
"I wish I could get some peace and quiet around here!"
 
I often recall (and resonnate with) my mother's remark when she grew weary of her five children (me included!). It does sound pretty good, doesn't it? If you are wishing for some peace & quiet, you may want to reserve a room at our upcoming CREATING QUIET SPACES: A 24-hour Directed Spiritual Retreat, Friday, January 11-Saturday, January 12, 2013.
 
Feeling adrift? Longing to hear from God, but can't get past the clutter on your desk, on your calendar, in your own mind?
 
Does your spiritual life lack the intimacy that your heart longs for and God's word promises?
 
God is calling you to come away with Him. He wants to clear the clutter, adjust your agenda, quiet your soul. Sounds good, doesn't it?

Here's what you can expect:
Check-in Friday beginning at 4pm. Join me for dinner at 6pm. After dinner, your Spiritual Director (that would be me) will provide an intro to the 24 hours of retreat, including spiritual direction and devotion, a tour of Sts. Peter & Paul Retreat Center, and a prayerful entry into quiet time.

When we depart to our private rooms, our "quiet time" continues until about 3:30pm on Saturday. Experiential exercises will be available in various locations to help you connect with God through prayer, meditation, scripture, and reflection during your quiet time. You are free to roam the 500 acres, but there is also plenty of space for an indoor get-away including a chapel, solarium, library, parlor, and dining room. I will also be available for one-on-one appointments in spiritual direction and prayer.
 
Saturday afternoon we gather again to share and pray before departing at 5pm.


Intimidated by silence?
You are not alone in that fear. After all, the God and Creator of the universe should be a bit intimidating! But, the flip side is this: the Father-God who created me wants to spend time? alone? with Me?! Ummm...let me check my calendar. I think I can pencil Him in!!

As we come together on Friday night, the women are usually a bit curious as to what they will do with all this "quiet" time. When we close on Saturday, they are longing for more!
 
Cost is $75 for a private room, retreat materials, and dinner Friday. The food is excellent. (We have our own chef!) Breakfast and lunch are also available at an added (low)cost. You may prefer to fast on Saturday or bring your own snacks. A microwave and refrigerator are available for our use.
 
These are some testimonies from previous retreats:

~"I so needed that time to pray, to journal, to reflect, but mostly to be still. The quiet time restored in me the love that the Lord has for me—what a great confirmation! Laying all my struggles at the feet of Jesus was what I did in those hours of quiet. I have such a peace now—not answers—but peace…"
~"Many people are fearful of silence, but I assure you of this, you will be amazed at what you don't hear and truly more amazed at what you do hear. 24 hours goes by very quickly because the Lord keeps you busy praying, reading His word and whispering in your ears to teach and bring peace and comfort to your heart."
~"I loved the experiential exercises. I got so excited that I could hardly wait to go to the next station."
~"The time with God was glorious and it was like I could not devour enough of God’s word. I was like a little girl at the candy store, ”I wanted to gobble up (soak in) as much of God as I could. Although I love to eat, it was like my heart was grieving when I broke away to feed my physical body!” …REALLY! Break Away.."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!