Tuesday, January 15, 2013

CREATING QUIET SPACES: Dream Dreams



CREATING QUIET SPACES:
"Dream Dreams"
~by Cindy Stiverson

The Lord provided the theme "Dream Dreams" for our Quiet Retreat this year. Acts 2:17-19 was the inspiration behind it:
"In the last days," God says, "I will pour out my Spirit on every kind of people: Your sons will prophesy, also your daughters;  your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. When the time comes, I'll pour out my Spirit on those who serve me, men and women both, and they'll prophesy...And whoever calls out for help to me, God, will be saved."
It's true: we gathered there to "call out for help to God". We came to Him with our specifics. But He made clear that His desire was, and is, to open our eyes to the bigger picture. God doesn't want us to get so caught up in the small details of our lives that we miss the grander scheme of a life lived for Him: the life made available on the Day of Pentecost, the day when these words in Acts were spoken.

God's answer is BIGGER than our specifics.

It reminds me of a walk on the beach. I get so deep in thought that I find myself walking with my head down, staring at grains of sand and broken seashells. Waves are crashing within inches of my feet. Yet, I have to literally awaken myself and redirect my vision to the vast beauty of this immense ocean that I so love. In that moment I am always caught by surprise that I could ignore something so grand and so beautiful, the very purpose of my walk in the first place. I realize that I am so caught up in each step that I am missing the big picture!
 
God wants to open our eyes to the BIG picture.
 
There is an overarching God-response that addresses every need. It happened on the Day of Pentecost. Prior to that day, only individuals hand-selected by God and called by God had direct access to Him through the Holy Spirit. God shared His dreams, imparted visions through His prophets, priests, partriarchs, kings. But 50 days after the resurrection of Christ, God implanted the Holy Spirit into the soul of every believer in Jesus Christ. The results? Prophecy, visions, dreams, salvation made available from God to "every kind of people".
 
God wants to open our minds to DREAM DREAMS that are BIGGER than what we can accomplish on our own.
 
We go through our daily grind day after day after day. We can't wait until the weekend or Spring break or vacation. But we don't look any further ahead than that. We limit our vision. We become nearsighted. We live each day focused on the grains of sand slipping through the hourglass, watching the clock and wishing the day away.
 
It breaks God's heart when we settle for the beach and sand and broken shells. He wants to show us the beach, the sand, the ocean, and beyond.  
 
Do you have a DREAM, a VISION, a GOD-SIZED PLAN for your life? I have been amazed how few women actually have dreams for their future. It's never too late to adjust your focus. God would just love to show you the BIGGER PICTURE He has in mind for YOU!
“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind can conceive what God has prepared for those who love him--but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.” I Cor 2:9-10  

_________________________________________

I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
 
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author/activist Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Cindy for all you do. The Christian community is blessed beyond measure to have you in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for a huge compliment!
      Thanks also for providing opportunity years ago for my beginnings as Spiritual Director for Silent Retreats.

      Delete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!