Friday, November 2, 2012

WEAVINGS: Whiter than snow

 
WEAVINGS: Whiter Than Snow
by Cindy Stiverson
 
David's cry of repentence in Psalm 51:

"Create in me a pure heart, O God."
"Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me and I will be whiter than snow."

The trees are now bare, naked from the strong winds of Hurricane Sandy. The timing of the storm has blown away the last leaves of the season. Hope awaits. Hopelessness prevails. A sense of gloom, loss of life, color, light. Tis the season: the in-between of nature.
 
Like the trees, "We do not want to be found naked." Like David, we "do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed." It's uncomfortable to be caught in the in-between of our sin and God's gracious forgiveness. "Meanwhile, we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling..." (Romans 5) 
 In fact, "the whole creation groans." (Rom. 8) And God so mercifully responds.
 
In His timing, He covers the trees, the earth with a blanket of white. The snow, etching their nakedness with beauty, brings definition to the finer lines and details of every limb, branch, twig. It hides the imperfections, the ugly of the earth. It turns horizons of greys into the brightest of whites. Pure. Peaceful. Profoundly white.
 
As much as I dislike winter, I find myself longing for the white stuff of it. David's cry of repentence was a prayer of hopelessness, helplessness, with the assurance of hope, peace, profound cleansing. He prayed for purity, longing for the white stuff of God: redemption of his sin. He knew he was a sinner, but he also knew the saving grace of God.
 
"We groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies."(Rom. 8) Let your inward groanings produce a harvest of righteousness, redemption of sin and a right-standing before God, who turns all our greys and uglies into pure, profound beauty.
 
Cleanse me...and I will be whiter than snow, Lord, whiter than snow.


Have Thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today.
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy Presence humbly I bow.
(Adelaide A. Pollard, 1902)
 



______________________________________


I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!