Saturday, November 17, 2012

WEAVINGS: Traveling Light



Weavings: Traveling Light
By Cindy Stiverson

For most of us, the holiday season equates to traveling. More than that, for many of us it comes with the emotional baggage of being around relatives and people that we may see only once a year. With Thanksgiving this week, I hope this post will help us to keep things in perspective...

"Come to me,
all of you who are weary
and carry heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28


I love to travel. My heart longs to go places I have never been. At the top of my "bucket list" is the longing to travel to distant lands, experience many cultures, meet people who are different than I am, minister to their needs, introduce them to Jesus, share the love of Christ.

This is a burden that often weighs on my heart and mind, especially as I get older and my body grows wearier. Traveling takes a toll on my body. It seems I now have to remember to add a few days to my trip itinerary after I return just to rest from having been gone!

My Boy and I take an annual spring vacation. It's a trip we look forward to all year. Sometimes, out of nowhere, he will smile at me and say, "Eight months (or whatever the length of time) from now we will be in Florida." It always catches me off guard because he begins the countdown even a few weeks after we return home!

As the weeks progress, I start thinking about the things I will pack. But every year, it seems when we get down to the wire, we pack in a last minute frenzy! In fact, I've noticed a trend of every trip. When I don't have time to plan in detail, I start throwing everything in! I tend to over-pack in fear of under-packing!

Over-packing definitely makes traveling more difficult. It's wearisome to lug all that baggage around: to be responsible for it at the airport, to lift it off the luggage rack, into the shuttle or rental car, into the hotel, up the elevator, into the room, and put it all away. Then, we have to do it all in reverse to get it back home!

There's much to glean from "traveling light". Yet, it seems that when it comes to life, few of us do. We carry around a lot of baggage. We are heavily burdened. The problems of life weigh us down.

In this passage, Jesus invites us to bring our baggage to Him. Yet, so often, He is our last resort. As a pastor and evangelist, it has amazed me when people put off "coming to Jesus" until they get rid of their baggage or until they know more scripture, or until they get their personal lives straightened out...or until _____________. (You fill in the blank!)

What's wrong with this picture of Jesus?

He is the only one who can take away our baggage, our burdens, the luggage of life that we carry around. We walk around like oxen, with a yoke around our neck, unhealthy attachments to unhealthy people, clinging to the past and to material things that are really worthless. We think, "I can't go to Jesus with this!" As if He can't see it?


Take a trip to Jesus. He's inviting you to come. Not someday, but now.
Come with all your baggage, all your burdens, all your imperfections.
Come weary of your life so that you can receive His life.
Come just as you are.

This is one trip you don't want to put off until "someday".
This is a trip we can and should take "everyday".
Make sure you bring all your baggage.
And be sure to leave it all there too.
Just Come.
"Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you because I am humble, and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls (Matt. 11:29-30NLT)."


 
______________________________________


I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and just what I needed today for so many reasons, Cindy! You are blessed with a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Christine! Even more of a compliment coming from one whom I admire so much: YOU!

    Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!