Friday, October 12, 2012

WEAVINGS: Party Poopers!



WEAVINGS: Party Poopers!
by Cindy Stiverson

This summer I had an interesting "weaving" of events with a common theme: poop!

The journey began when we were vacationing in Florida. Standing on the boardwalk overlooking John's Pass, I noticed a pelican perched on the seat of a jet ski for rent. Along with the pelican was his poopy trademark, dripping from the seat and down the royal blue body of the ski. I nudged my hubby and said, "Look at that pelican sitting on the jet ski. He's saying, 'I pooped on it--now it's MINE!'" And, he was probably right; who would want to rent that poop-covered-ski?
 
I reflected on how we often do that. We leave our dirty do-do here and there, leaving a sigh of disgust with those who are left to deal with it. We poop on the dreams of others. Or, instead of listening and consoling when someone is genuinely sharing their woes, we make it about us and leave them with a bigger burden instead of lifting theirs.
 
The next weaving on this theme was a visit to the duck pond with my grandson Jude. We had some time to kill, so I thought he would enjoy a walk by the pond and a visit with the ducks. As soon as I opened the car door, I was greeted by...not ducks, but ducky do-do! Not just ducky do-do, but goose poop! Here. There. Ev-er-y-where. The poop, positioned like landmines around the pond, definitely outnumbered our feathered friends, keeping wary visitors like ourselves at a distance. We opted for a walk around the beautiful grounds instead.
 
As we walked, I reflected on my history with this duck pond at the Mt. Vernon Developmental Center. My grandmother worked at this facility for many years. I still remember visiting her as a preteen. Along with other coworkers, grandma had an apartment on the grounds . It was always a bit intimidating to me. I was curious about her life and work there. In hindsight, I wondered if it had something to do with my aunt/her daughter, who was institutionalized as a preteen and spent the rest of her life in a similar setting.
 
Isn't it true? We often follow a path that leads to sorting our own troubled past: choices we've made, hurts we've faced, hardships we've battled. We stuff them deep in hopes they will go away, but they resurface time and again, calling us to look at our poopy past...which leads me to the next poop in my story.
 
We went to Chipotle for lunch on a Sunday afternoon. As we walked back to the car, I noticed the vehicle next to ours had a sign on the door: "Scoop-A-Poop", a yard service specializing in cleaning up pet poop. Whoever heard of such a profession? Perhaps that's a great prescription for our hearts: scoop the poop and dispose of it!
 
As I close this dirty story, my grandson gets the last word. We were driving through the countryside on our way to church one Sunday morning. Jude notice the big round bales of hay in the fields and asked me what they were for. Of course, since the very second he turned three, every explanation is followed by, "WHY?" So, I explained how the farmers raise the crops, bale the hay, and the cows eat it. But it seems I left out a very important part of the story. He held out his hands as though he had the perfect answer and added the perfect ending, "AND THEN THEY POOP!"
 
The End.
And the moral of the story is: Don't be a Party Pooper!
 
 Are you guilty of pooping on someone else's party? Or of staging your own pity party? Let this prayer be your guide to a new perspective on life!


______________________________________


I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!