Friday, October 19, 2012

WEAVINGS: Choose Life




WEAVINGS: Choose Life
by Cindy Stiverson

If given a choice between life and death, it would seem the choice would be obvious. We fear death most of our lives. I still remember when I became aware, as a child, that death was a reality. What a horrible reality it was! When would it happen? How? Who would I be with? Would I die alone? Would I "die before I awoke"? I thought of all the people I would miss, all the things I wanted to do and to be. At the age of only six, eight, nine, I had goals of being a wife, a mother, having a career, changing the world.
 
I'm sure this onslaught of thought about life came with my first experience of death. My great grandmother was a beautiful soul. She loved the Lord. She loved people. She was truly the matriarch of our family. The table was always set, just in case a visitor was hungry. And, if you weren't hungry when you arrived, her cooking and canning were certain to whet the appetite! To complete the perfect picture, you would find her in a creaky wooden rocker, tipping back and forth, with her long silver hair twisted like silk and perched upon her head. She lived a long full life. A blessed life. A life that blessed others.
 
Moses stood before the Israelites and announced his retirement, "I am now a hundred and twenty years old and I am no longer able to lead you." The reason for retirement may appear at face value to be a no-brainer: he was old. But the real reason was disobedience to God. Not all the time. Not very much of the time. But enough to prevent this great patriarch from crossing into the Promised Land. 
 
When God offered, through Moses, the choice of life and death, blessings and curses to the Israelites, Moses knew the full impact of both. Choosing life and blessings was summed up in this heart desire of God:
"See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands... then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you...
But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient...you will certainly be destroyed...
Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life..." -Deut. 30:15-20
 
These are the choices I am making today. Will you make this covenant with God along with me?

Choose Blessings.
What we say and do matters. We can speak blessings or curses. Listen to the words that flow from your mouth. Do not curse your children with negativity and failure. Be a positive, Godly example for the generations to come. Rise up and be the matriarch of your family.

Choose Life.
Live in a way that honors and pleases God. Keep His commands. Be obedient to His voice that speaks softly in your ear and tugs at your heart. Always seek forgiveness for disobedience. Make sure your heart is totally devoted to Him.
Choose Love.
Love God with your entire heart. If you do this, loving others will be easy because His love will flow through you like a bubbling brook. That's the heart of God beating in the very depth of your souls, Christ living and breathing in us through the Holy Spirit.

I pray LIFE, LOVE, BLESSINGS over you this day!




Romans 10:9-10
"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved."

______________________________________


I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.
So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving the Lord with all my heart and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life!
 


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!