Wednesday, August 1, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Time To Chill!

LIFE LESSON: Time To Chill!
by Cindy Stiverson

During our recent power outage, I was thankful that we had a generator to keep our food chilled. I was also dismayed:  it did not generate enough power for air conditioning. Why does the power go out on the hottest week of the year? What's up with that, God? Is this your idea of putting on the pressure, seeing how much we will squirm? (just kidding, Lord! hehe :)

I had forgotten how quickly foods spoil....moldy bread, over-ripe bananas, sprouting potatoes.

I had forgotten how insects appear...fruit flies and other pests emerge out of nowhere.

It was a flashback of my childhood...being raised with open windows, screen doors, and fly traps hanging from light fixtures, sticky tape covered with dead flies! YUCK...what was my mother thinking?  A favorite saying of hers echoes in my mind, "I know you weren't born in a barn, but would you please stop leaving the door open? You're letting all the flies in!" And the sticky tape, dangling above our heads with the carcasses of all who dared enter my mother's kitchen, provided gross evidence that she was right. 

The upheaval of no power, no air, no hot water...changed our lifestyle that first week of July. What I missed most? My chill time. Our schedules revolved around strategizing to accommodate our life to these unexpected changes. I must confess it interrupted my time with the Lord. I am thankful that I know what it is to be in oneness with Him, that I can experience His presence wherever I am.

However, I also know that just like the fruits, breads, and vegetables, we quickly lose our freshness. We mold and mildew. We attract varmints, (AKA Satan). We need our chill time...time away with God to renew our spirit and to keep our walk with Him fresh and unspoiled by the world around us. Lest, we find ourselves like flies on sticky tape, trapped in situations that could have been prevented.

And I promise, none of us want to look anything like a fly on sticky tape!

Psalm 51:10-12 is our prayer today:
"Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you."
Worship Him, surrender to Him, with this prayer and song...I'm praying it right along with you!


_______________________________________________

Cynthia K (Cindy) Stiverson
I am a speaker, writer, artist and an ordained minister in the Church of the Nazarene. I lead the women at NewarkNaz in Newark, Ohio. In 1998, God gave me a vision for Woven: Women of Virtue Network. It's a blessing to be involved in so many women's lives. Sometimes I think my heart will burst.

So very thankful for my hubby Mark. Extremely proud of my daughter speaker/author Nicole and son-in-law Matthew Bromley. Love my grandsons Jude and Isaac beyond measure.

Loving God with all my heart, soul, strength; and loving and leading others to do the same is the greatest joy of my life.


4 comments:

  1. Great visual, Cindy.... Fly on sticky tape: definitely don't want to be that! Thank you for the reminder to stay fresh in the Word. Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a need to clarify this scripture, specifically the line which read, "Do not take your Holy Spirit from me." This was a prayer of repentance written by King David, which means it was before the coming of Christ and before the Holy Spirit came to dwell within individual believers of Christ.
    If you have believed, confessed, and accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, the Holy Spirit has been deposited within your soul. He will never depart from you. Unless of course you make a pact with the devil and totally turn your back on God.
    This is the New Covenant, the covenant we have with God through Christ.
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Keith Green sounded familiar and I knew when I saw his picture with the Afro Style Hair. My daughter bought an old record of his, from Goodwill I think, to play on a 70's style stereo we got from I forget where! It brought back memories to hear him again! Love the devos!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!