Thursday, August 9, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Perseverance


LIFE LESSONS: Perseverance
by Margaret Slabach


Its 10am! I am halfway through Pilate’s class. I am tired; my body screams at me “ENOUGH!!” But…. I keep going, persevering, pushing through the leg cramps and the shaking muscles. Why? Because I know that it’s good for strengthening my core and good for my sciatic nerve. So, I show up twice weekly, putting myself through the regiment; certainly not because I enjoy it. (By the way, I am seeing some results!)

As I am sweating and persevering, I am reminded of 1 Timothy 4:8: 
“Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come (NLT).”
What I am doing for my physical body is a good thing and is actually necessary for the health of my back. BUT am I doing the same for my “spiritual” body? Am I just as willing to work hard, persevere to strengthen the core of my spirit? Or will I choose to be lazy, getting by with just occasional exercise? It is so easy to justify our inactivity, both physically and spiritually.

To strengthen my core spiritually, I need the discipline of consistent Bible reading, prayer, journaling, memorizing, Bible study, fellowship. I need it, yes, but am I willing to do the hard work of actually doing it?  Or will I convince myself I will …someday?

Let's take a few moments to journal:
  • What we are actually doing to strengthen our spirit?
  • What we are not doing? 
  • What can we alter in our life to be faithful to these non-negotiable disciplines?
I don’t know about you, but my flesh wants the lazy route!  And a few extra winks of sleep will usually turn into minutes or hours.

As much as I do not care for the discipline of strengthening my core, I do it because I know it's necessary. I will continue to do the same for my “spiritual” body.

Want to join me?

And let us run with perseverance
  the race marked out for us,
fixing our eyes on Jesus,  
the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
Hebrews 12:1-2 

_________________________________________

Margaret and her husband Jim are celebrating 40 years of marriage. They have 3 children and 8 multicultural grandchildren. She is the Office Manager at High Mill Church in Canton, Ohio.
Besides being grandma, she loves photography, reading, studying, and writing. She has unoffically published Trickles from the Soul, a compilation of her poetry and photography. Margaret's Blog


4 comments:

  1. Argh! What a gruesome reminder, Margaret! "A few extra winks of sleep can turn into minutes or hours"...guilty! I'm not sure whether to say "Thank you" or be angry at you! LOL

    Say it together: "WE CAN DO THIS!"

    THANK YOU MARGARET! I so appreciate you!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I can use improvement in BOTH areas! Blessings! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, "Perseverence" has always been a special word to me. Along with dedication and persistence, you basically covered them all with your workout routine, your description makes my muscles burn hearing it, you are so inspirational to me, I love your wit and will power....so blessed to call you my friend. Loved your blog today! SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, great piece and speaking to me reminding me to keep pressing in even when the world tries to pull me away. Loved your blog and your realness!! I can always relate to you and it feels like we were sitting over coffee and you were sharing this story with me. Love it and love you!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!