Tuesday, August 21, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Just-Keep-Picking!

Photography by Margaret Slabach
LIFE LESSON:
Just-Keep-Picking!
by Margaret Slabach

There are these delicious little berries on bushes, confined within a large cage, called blueberries. We have eight large bushes that are bearing prolifically because we have watered them faithfully.  While my husband was away on a mission trip, there I was: enmeshed in the branches, picking those little things in the ninety degree heat.

As I picked, my awareness peaked. God was speaking to me about persistence.  I can’t honestly say I particularly enjoyed the lesson. Every last blueberry had to be picked; there was no way around it. There are no magic solutions… just-keep-picking! If I wanted blueberries I had to pick them or they’d go to waste. I couldn’t pick for just five minutes either.  No, it required hours. BUT after hours of picking, I had a whole lot of berries. Persistence was required to harvest the delicious little things. One advantage: I could eat as many as I wanted while picking. 

My hubby’s home now and we work as a team, but the lesson still applies. We cannot pick if or when we feel like it. We have to pick almost daily during the season so that we can get around the patch or buckets will go to waste. The berries do not wait until we want to pick; they just keep bearing. There are days I don’t feel like it. I’d rather be doing something more fun.

Life is like that. You may be in a season that isn’t much fun or may be a tad bit boring but you know you're where God wants you. It requires persistence -- “enduring tenaciously”. Wishing won’t change things. It only makes you more dissatisfied. You would rather be doing the fun things your friends are enjoying. But you can’t. You have to just-keep-picking because you want that promised harvest. It would be easier and less sweaty to let it go, ignore it, pretend it doesn’t exist. But think of the harvest you would miss!

  • Are you in a season of just-keep-picking?  Feeling like you want to give up?
  • Are you tired, hot, sweaty from persisting?
  • Do you need an attitude change towards what you are doing? Can you accept it or do you chafe?
  • Will you let your harvest go to waste because you are discouraged? Facing opposition? Or because you just don’t feel like doing it?
Persistence = enduring; refusing to give up; persisting especially in the face of obstacles or discouragement; enduring tenaciously

Persistance brings a greater harvest. And you even get to enjoy some fruit along the way!
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians. 6:9



_________________________________________

Margaret and her husband Jim are celebrating 40 years of marriage. They have 3 children and 8 multicultural grandchildren. She is the Office Manager at High Mill Church in Canton, Ohio.
Besides being grandma, she loves photography, reading, studying, and writing. She has unoffically published Trickles from the Soul, a compilation of her poetry and photography. Margaret's Blog

1 comment:

  1. Margaret ~ I was just having "moment". I read this and it reaffirmed I am where God wants me to be right now. It is not always fun. Some days I feel overwhelmed. I do know He has me where I am for such a time as this. I am blessed. I will 'keep picking' and won't give up or be brought down. Blessings ~ D.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!