Tuesday, August 14, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Fly Free


LIFE LESSON: Fly Free
by SallyAnne Trissel



After suffering from exhaustion and fatigue, I was diagnosed with anemia. Through doctor visits and medical testing, they discovered I had been bleeding internally from a hiatel hernia.  I had lost most of my iron.  Psalm 46:10 became my life:  “Be still and know that I am God.”

God's plan for me during that period of rest was more than just physical healing. During those long months, I spent a lot of time studying the Bible and finding forgiveness, for others and for myself.  I emptied a lot of darkness from my heart. Years of pain and sadness lifted and I began to find peace. I felt like a frumpy grounded caterpillar, dragging all my past through the dirt along with me. He was healing me to fly free, as a butterfly.

Grateful for much healing, my strength slowly returned. I found a job substituting at a workshop for the disabled. Being an artist, one of my jobs was to encourage people to paint artwork. Tammy was very excited, she loved to paint. Tammy had spina bifada and could not walk, speak or hear.  She  spent her entire life in a wheelchair. I loved my time with her, she was always so happy when she was painting. Her work was very good, she had a natural talent.

Tammy became ill. Within a few short weeks she became worse. I went to see her in the intensive care unit to say goodbye. She was unconscious as I prayed for her and hugged her for the last time. She passed away that same night. I was so brokenhearted! I cried so much. Then God reminded me of that same visual I had when I was healing. Peace came over me, knowing that Tammy was no longer grounded like the caterpillar. She was flying free! She was hearing the heavenly music and singing with the angels, healed and whole again.

A short time later, I left that job to pursue my dream of writing. God closed a door  and opened a new window in my life. What a joy it is to follow Him! He truly makes all things new if we allow Him to!



“Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.”   2 Corinthians 5:17
 ____________________________________________

SallyAnne has been happily married to Bill for almost 9 years. She has two grown sons and three grandchildren. Bill and SallyAnne have 4 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels which are very spoiled.

Retired from working with disabled folks, she enjoys painting in her studio and writing. She loves being part of Woven Women and encouraging people to follow the path which God created for them.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with us, Sally. We seem so programmed by this world to be afraid of death, but your words remind us that we should not be so. While we are here, death to ourselves is God's way of freeing us from this world's trappings. That is our dress rehearsal for our eventual physical death, when we will experience God's ultimate freedom to be with Him always!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!