Thursday, August 30, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: 'Faith'ing Reality



LIFE LESSON: 'Faith'ing Reality
by Rachel Blevins

Yes, I know...faithing is not a real word and I don't speak with a lisp. I awakened with this phrase in my head and I got to thinking...

Disciples of Jesus are sometimes confronted with crisis and age-old questions surface. What happens when our prayers aren't answered? Or, the reality of it, what happens when our prayers aren't answered the way we want them to be?

The litany of questions begins. Didn't I have faith? Did I not have enough? What did I do wrong? Is God punishing me for bad things I've done? Am I not good enough? Ad infinitum...

If we face reality, we know we don't always get our way even when we've done things well. We exercise our faith and still the unthinkable happens. But so-and-so said that he/she would be healed. It's best to skip this ping-pong match of the mind.   

During my years in hospice work, I encountered several patients who believed strongly in divine healing. One young mother was adamant that she would be healed--so adamant that she refused to sign legal documents on the house and car she jointly owned with her husband. She chose not to talk to her teenage children about the possibility of death and she died grimacing. Her children were angry for a very long time.

My friend Barb "faithed" reality. She walked her journey differently. Longing to return home, she was granted her desire to be in her own surroundings the last few days of her life. Barb said, “I want to go home...but I think I'm going to my other home.” 

I asked her to clarify and she continued, “I just want to be in my home. I realize I may die, but I will continue to pray for a miracle.” She prepared her children for her death. It softened the pain of their loss.

There was such a contrast in the outcome of these two believers. Both had faith and trust in God's ability to heal. One was bitter; one was not. One prepared her family; one did not.

Someone asked me recently, “Do you think that if you're praying for a healing miracle you should still prepare for death?”

The simple answer is, "Yes, we should prepare for death!" 

We prepare for most everything else in life with all sorts of insurance policies. We have health care insurance for physical needs. We purchase life insurance just-in-case we die! Of course it’s uncomfortable to talk about—but scripture does say, “It’s appointed unto man once to die and then the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27).

Faithing reality does not mean you are lacking in the faith department—at least, that's my opinion. I have prayed for precious loved ones to be healed. They were not. The questions persisted. Will I continue to pray for those that need a miracle? YES!

Not getting the results I want does not change who God is or what He can do. I may never understand the way things unfold in life but I have found God to be trustworthy…in life and in death.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:35-38)
Can you sing, "It Is Well With My Soul" this morning, regardless of the situation you are facing? Can you still trust that God is in control when your prayers seem to be unanswered? I pray that the hardships of life only draw you closer to Him.

We are praying God's peace over you this day and trusting His love will prevail in your heart and life.
Hugs, ~Cindy

_________________________________________________

 
It's a privilege to introduce Rachel to you today. She is an awesome woman of God, gifted with many pearls of wisdom and a gift for expression. Rachel is a mom, grandma, and has been in ministry her entire adult life as pastor's wife. Now widowed, her love legacy with Pastor Joe continues to inspire others through her writings and her undying love for him and for God.
Rachel is a freelance speaker/writer and personal caregiver. She is a Woman of Virtue!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great lesson and one so poignant for me as I recently lost my father, and my friend is in the process of saying goodbye to her mother; it is a similar story of differences. Your words remind us that God does not promise to fulfill our wishes, but to fulfill His plan. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!