Monday, June 11, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Walk? Or Run?



LIFE LESSON: Walk? Or Run?
by Cheryl Simpson

Who comes to mind when you think of health and fitness? One of our nation’s most popular experts is Dr. Oz. Our local health food store has an entire section of his products on display. Whether it’s nutritious eating or exercise, America looks to him.

Dr. Oz writes and speaks on the benefits of walking.  Check out a few on his list:
§        “Walking fends off the number one killer. Regular walkers have fewer heart attacks and strokes, lower blood pressure and higher levels of healthy HDL cholesterol than couch sitters do.    
§        As little as 90 days after starting a regular walking program, age-reducing effects can be measured.
§        Walking slims you down.
§        It keeps you sharp.
§        Reduces Stress.
§        Revs your energy.”

To further encourage Americans towards a healthier life style, Dr. Oz has teamed with Weight Watchers. We applaud the efforts of experts across our nation who encourage us to “Commit to be fit.”
My family recently encouraged me to increase my activity by running. I’ve discovered a new love! I had no idea how much I would enjoy it until I committed to it.

The truth is, I was running spiritually before I started running physically! Numerous times in my life I have ran ahead of God. Truly, I wasn’t listening. It was all good stuff and I had good intentions, but our relationship with God is much different. God asks us to walk with Him…not run ahead of Him. I’m so thankful He has lovingly taught me to slow down so I can keep in step with His plans.

Have you been guilty of running ahead? Walking requires obedience and listening. As we listen to His gentle voice, He guides us saying, “Just walk. Stay in pace with me.” 

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track (Prov. 3:5-6MES).”

Consider today how your life lines up with this passage:
§        Do I trust God from the bottom of my heart?
§        Am I just trying to figure everything out on my own?
§        Am I listening for God’s voice in everything I do? Everywhere I go?
§        Am I on track with God’s plans?


Dear God our Father,
We praise you this day for life. As we soak in the beauty of each new day, we cry out to you, “How Great thou Art.”
Thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ who walked this earth and even today invites us to walk with Him. Thank you for the gift of your Holy Spirit that woos us, steadies us, and enables us to walk in pace with You.
We want to follow your sweet cadence, grasp your hand, and trust you from the bottom of our heart. Lead us, we pray in the name of Jesus, Amen.
_______________________________________________________


Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five wonderful granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene.
She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

Can't tell you how thankful I am for this woman! Cheryl is a dear friend with an incredible heart. She is a Woven Group Leader on my team at Newark Naz. Love her so very much! ~Cindy


Read other recent posts by Cheryl:
~50 Days of Holy: Are You Singing?
~50 Days of Holy: Follow the Yellow Brick Road
~40 Days of Virtue: Aging with Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!