Tuesday, June 5, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Songs In the Rain

LIFE LESSON: Songs In the Rain
by Kim Dent
He awakened me with a whisper in my Spirit, moments before dawn. I padded softly downstairs, eager to meet with my Beloved.  Stepping out onto my deck I breathed in the freshness. A new day on the horizon. I am thankful to be alive, here, now.

The chirping of birds was like a beautiful chorus of praise from every direction, filling my heart with joy. I sank into my chair and closed my eyes, losing myself in the intricate symphony. Mozart, in all his talent, could not match the brilliance of this unrehearsed morning cantata.
I sat quietly, content to simply be present with His marvelous creation. I was at peace. Then, as if on queue, the heavens began to weep. Tears from heavenly places tapped through the trees. The raindrops gentle percussion enriched the melody.
Mysteriously mingled with the soft pattering of this early morning shower, the bird’s joyful chorus remained. Their strong and confident refrain flowed in, around, and above the woeful rain song like a mist. I listened, enchanted with it’s sorrowful beauty.
So it is with life. In the midst of our joy and praise, unexpected showers come. Unexplainable tragedy and unanswerable questions fall like a sudden summer rain and we are caught by surprise. 
In the midst of a season of joy and purpose, I was shocked to learn that my beautiful daughter had been deceived into a life of homosexuality. My heart became a lead weight. The rains came, threatening to drown me in sorrow.  I knew of nothing else to do but cry out to my Savior.  He answered me.  Not in the way that I asked and not by changing my daughter’s mind...but by changing me.
He gave me new eyes to see...not so much her sin...but my own. He gave me a new heart to love...not only those who return my love but a heart to love those who accuse me of intolerance because I believe God. He gave me a new passion to reach out....not to point a finger but to hold out a hand to the lost, lonely and misunderstood. 
”He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen as one being taught (Isaiah 50:4).”
I wonder.
§        Have you been caught in the rains of life? 
§        Do you need a new perspective?
§        Is it time to shed that heavy raincoat of grief and listen for a new refrain?  It’s there you know. If you lift your eyes and carefully listen, you will hear it.  It’s the song of hope.
Trust The Composer as He works the highs and lows of your life into a masterpiece no songwriter could fathom. May He awaken the ears of your heart to listen as a disciple. May songs of hope stir your heart toward His undeniable sovereignty in your precious life.
Dear Lord, You have composed the music of our lives. The symphonies are often difficult, yet beautiful in mysterious ways. May we never cease to sing songs of praise to you, Jesus....especially in the pain, in the rain. Amen.


This video (Bring the Rain by Mercy Me) goes so beautifully with Kim's powerful message today. I thought you would enjoy it in your time of worship. I pray that whatever you are going through, that you will see Jesus in the midst of your rain and your pain!
Love you bunches!  ~Cindy

____________________________________________

Kim has been married to her high school sweetheart for 26 years. She and Mark have two beautiful daughters, Kaitlyn and Emily, a rescued mutt named Otis and a pleasantly plump cat named Oscar.
A former social worker and real estate agent, Kim now serves full time as Women's Ministry Director at High Mill Church in Canton, OH. Her mission is to inspire women toward courageous authenticity and freedom in Christ. She desires to be a woman who lives and loves like Jesus.

She is a Woven Women: a Woman of Virtue!

1 comment:

  1. Kim, You have such a gift with your words. It was such a warm pleasure to enjoy time with you at our recent writer's retreat. Your smile and encouraging words are so uplifting to one who has been so lonely. I LOVE this blog. So grateful for others to share and be blessed with your talent with words. Love you, SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!