Monday, June 4, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Simplify


LIFE LESSON: Simplify
 by Cindy Stiverson

Hanging on my bedroom wall is a picture with the word "Simplify". I discovered it during a time in my life when God was teaching me that He is all I need; that life is about "being" not "doing". He wanted me to know that no amount of praying or doing good works could make Him love me more than He already does. It was quite an adjustment to just lay it all down, surrender to this simple existence of "being". I have to admit that NOT DOING was one of the hardest things I have ever DONE! It was quite a lesson of really living!

I don't remember where I purchased this work of art, but I am sure it was no coincidence that I found it just when I needed it. Each letter begins an expression of how we can simplify our lives. Just reading it brings me peace. I should read it more often! (smile) Even better than just reading it, would be to practice the advice it offers:
     Slow down.
     Imagine doing less.
     Make time for loved ones.
     Practice patience.
     Learn to gently say no.
     Increase your quiet time.
     Follow your heart.
     Yield to life...yield to peace...yield to joy.

Need I say more? No. That's exactly the point.

Simplify. Be a woman of few words, an open schedule, a yielded heart! Doesn't that sound inviting on a hot summer day?
  • Take some time to pray about which of these elements you should begin to put into practice.
  • Remember that you are a Human Being, not a Human Doing!
  • Ask for God's grace to live more simply, unencumbered by the demands of the world.
  • Align your priorities with God's priorities. Embrace His love for you and love Him back, with empty arms. Therein is life!
Oh Lord, Let my yes be yes and my no be no. Let my life reflect the simplicity of your nature, the glory of being fully surrendered to You. Amen.

I love this admonition  God speaks to the Israelites in  Deuteronomy 30:19-20:




“Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live! You can make this choice by loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to him. This is the key to your life (NLT)."

3 comments:

  1. Bernadette SmithMonday, 04 June, 2012

    Good Morning Aunt Cindy, I thought you were on vacation. Thank you for always knowing what is going on in the Smith house, todays words could not have come at a better time. As Shane comes home today I will be walking out, Again, I will remind him that I love him, miss him and our new word for our life is Simplify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Cindy. When I turned 60 last week, I said. Sassy Sixty, now Simplify! I am always amazed with your 3:00am (or sometimes 3:00pm) writing. SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bernadette~
    Yes, we are...but as you can tell, I am still "doing" on my vaca! I don't know, but God knows...He's my spy. LOL! Thanks for sharing~helps to know that I do not labor in vain. God is working!

    Sally~
    So good to hear from you. 60?! No way!
    Yep, that's when I write best 3am and 3pm. Weird?! That's me!
    Love to all~
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!