Wednesday, June 6, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Seeking Shelter



LIFE LESSON: Seeking Shelter
by Stefanie Libertore




“They were terrified and asked each other, ‘Who is this?
Even the wind and the waves obey him!’”
Mark 4:41

I recently watched a summer storm blow in. I was thankful to be safe at home when it hit. I noticed my cat did not share my appreciation for storms. The whistling wind and claps of thunder set her running from room to room, looking for a safe haven. As she ran about, she finally found a resting place. It was near me – her master.  

I’ve never had cause to run from nature’s storms, but there have been many times I have tried to run from life’s storms. Like my cat, I’ve darted from people to places to things, looking for a safe haven. Running to people – especially the wrong ones – only keeps me saturated in my problems. And no matter how great the deals at the mall, retail therapy still fails to cure the hurts in my heart. The bottom-line is that when all my makeshift shelters prove faulty, I know there’s one sure place to go – into the presence of my Master.  

The Gospel of Mark records the story of a fierce storm that arose while the disciples were out on the sea. Jesus was asleep in the stern. As waves broke over the boat, the disciples became terrified, afraid they would drown. They went to the Master. “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” Jesus got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” The wind died down and the sea was calm.

Like the disciples, I have asked,
“Jesus, don’t you care that I’m hurt? Don’t you care that our family is splitting apart? Don’t you care that the diagnosis is more than we can handle? Don’t you care?”

In the midst of the raging downpour of life’s circumstances, He quiets me with His Presence. He responds,

“My child, why are you frightened of this storm? I’m the Storm Ruler. I command the winds and the rain and they obey Me. As you remain in My presence, you will not be harmed. I allow these storms to come so that you will experience My grace and the strength to endure it.”

What storms are threatening to sink your ship? Financial distress? Broken relationships? Betrayal of a friend? An unplanned pregnancy? A difficult diagnosis? Jesus is able to quiet the storm. And when the storm is chronic, He gives us the  strength we need to walk through it.

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging….The Lord Almighty is with us (Ps. 46:1-3, 7)”
Jesus, you are greater than our greatest storm. Forgive us for seeking solace in shelters of our own making. We pray for the strength and courage to wait for you to calm our seas. We seek refuge in you. Thank You, Lord, for your promise to never leave us or forsake us. Amen.


Sister, what are you struggling through?
Is there a storm that seems to never end?
Or a hardship that feels so huge that you're wondering how you will ever get to the other side?
You don't have to go it alone. There are women who, just like you, have faced enormously difficult situations and made it to the other side. We would just love to pray for you and encourage you today. Feel free to send me a message (cstiverson@hotmail) or leave a comment below.
I hope this video serves to encourage you and center you in His presence. May God be ever-present in your life, Hugs, Cindy
 __________________________________
Once again, I am praising God for the beautiful women He has placed on my path. Introducing Stef:
Stefanie Libertore has been joyfully married to Tony since 2003. They are blessed with two wacky, fun children, Isabella and Luke. Stefanie serves as Client Services Director at Pregnancy Support Center in Canton, OH. She is currently working on her first book for women, a Biblical journey of forgiveness, healing and restoration from one’s sexual past.

She is a Woven Woman: a woman of virtue!
Thanks Stefanie for sharing your heart with us today.  Sending love and prayers your way, ~Cindy


4 comments:

  1. Oh Stef..so grateful to read your wonderful blog this morning. It is beautifully written and I love the video and song. LOVE IT! So blessed to have you as one of my "soul sisters." So blessed to have become one of the writers at our writing group, what a beautiful bunch of spiritual women with messages God is encouraging them to share on paper. What a gift of words you have, so glad you share them. SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word, Stef! So True, I know. I am sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stef, thank you for the wonderful words, you do not know how much I needed them to strengthen me today

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stef, love seeing your blog debut with this great group of women.

    "And no matter how great the deals at the mall, retail therapy still fails to cure the hurts in my heart." .... so, so, so true!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!