Friday, June 22, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: The Little Stuff

LIFE LESSON: The Little Stuff
by Kim Miller

Sometimes there are things we feel we need to do…but really don’t want to! This was one of those things for me: a graduation party. I rehearsed a list of reasons not to go:  I really don’t know the graduate…I haven’t kept in contact with her mom…I am busy…I have another party to attend…I really just want to stay home. Let’s just face it!  I can be selfish with my time. However, I am really trying to listen to the Holy Spirit. When He nudges me, I want to respond. This was one of those “nudges”. 

You know how moms are at parties! They introduce us to someone and expect us to remember this person we knew when we were only four years old. This poor young graduate had not seen me for fourteen years! I really felt sorry for her, as she tried to wrack her brain to remember. Then her mom reminded her about things I had given her and the two months that I babysat her after work.
Suddenly, I was wracking my brain for a memory!  I had totally forgotten about those two months that I had cared for her.  At the time, it seemed insignificant.  Fourteen years later, I was stunned to learn what a great blessing my family had been to them. She said God had placed me in her life to help in her time of need. They were so very appreciative of me coming to her graduation party. Wow!  I had no idea!
So often we take for granted the little stuff. We have no idea how God uses us to help and encourage others in the everyday of life. Why do we always focus on the big things? We think that if we’re not the preacher/teacher or involved in some huge ministry or project, we are not effectively serving our Lord…that we’re not making a difference.
Thank goodness for those in ministry who can pull off the big stuff!  BUT, praise God for those of us God uses to accomplish what we consider to be the “little stuff”:  watching someone’s child, going to a graduation party, just hugging, listening, talking with someone.  What we consider little, God considers HUGE.
 …So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ's body, let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't (Rom 12:3-4-6 MSG).”
 
God,
Help me to focus on the little ways I can serve You by serving others. I want to be an encourager. Keep my heart humble. Help me to remember that my life is a living sacrifice to You. I pray that I will be faithful to every nudging of the Holy Spirit as You lead me on the adventures of everyday life with everyday people who have everyday needs. Help me to help others as we walk through the “stuff” that life is made of!
In Jesus Name, Amen.
I pray you will worship Him today with your whole self.
I pray that where He leads, you will go. Be totally His!

 ________________________________________________
I am so proud to introduce Kim Miller to you today. She makes me smile just saying her name. Kim is a vivacious woman of God. It's so wonderful to have her on my Woven leadership team at Newarknaz. We are still unwrapping her many gifts. Love you Kim! ~Cindy

Kim and her best friend Mike have been married for 30 years. They have been blessed with two sons, Zac (married to the amazing Jackie) and Jake. They also have two rambunctious dogs, Jo and Dixie. Kim has been an administrative professional for 30 years. She enjoys encouraging and spending time with women of all ages.

She is a Woven Woman: a woman of virtue!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go , Kim! Excellent job. I loved hearing from you this morning. Corky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say amen! The Lord has "humbled" me many times when I didn't want to do something but did it anyway.. then He showed me what it was all about. thanks for sharing the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kim for being the hands and feet of Christ, to a mother and her daughter who needed HOPE in a fallen world we live in. It forever changed their direction.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!