Thursday, June 28, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Leap of Faith


LIFE LESSON: Leap of Faith
by Cheryl Simpson

 “Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord-
that YOU alone are the Most High over all the earth.”
Psalm 83:18NIV

Do you remember the Indiana Jones movies? I have enjoyed watching and re-watching them through the years. The first of the series was “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” You may remember Indiana Jones was in pursuit of the Ark of the Covenant. His thought was if he had the ark, he would possess endless power.


Another movie was “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.” My favorite scene was when He had to take a leap of faith across a deep chasm. There was no way to cross, there was no walkway. With his heart in his chest, he stepped out in faith even though he couldn’t see where he was walking. He had to do it to save the life of his father. He had to do it and it had to be immediately!


There was also another scene in the movie in which Indy had to follow the name of God-Jehovah by spelling out the letters to His name as he walked. With each step his father would cry out to him, “Follow the name of God Jehovah.”


I recently came across a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” This is the same as with Indy, he took the first step even though there was nowhere to walk. Surrendering the unknown is a huge part in the faith walk. When I surrender the past and the unknown tomorrows, I have faith that Jehovah-God will take care of the need.


When my children were young teens, a terrible tragedy occurred in my neighborhood that took the lives of twin girls that lived next door, a husband and wife that were close neighbors, and also my daughter’s very best friend…one accident, five deaths.


This event shook me to my foundation so much so that I could not pray “Thy will be done” because I was fearful that God would take my children as well. However, God wondrously blessed me with wise counsel. A dear friend reminded me that placing our children in the hands of the Lord was the safest thing we can do.

Victory came... All became surrendered.

How is your faith walk this day? Are you taking a leap of faith even though you don’t see what is ahead? Are you spelling out the name of God with each step of your day?


Dear Father,
Examine my heart, I pray, as I ask you to show me any area in my life that that may not be totally surrendered to you. All that I am and all that I call mine, I give to you and surrender to your Lordship. Help me daily to walk by faith, not by sight. In the name of Jesus, Amen

Will you take the leap of faith?


______________________________________________________


Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene. She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!