Friday, June 15, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: I Hear Your Heart

LIFE LESSON: I Hear Your Heart
by Nicole Bromley
MY DAUGHTER NICOLE &  JUDE
My 3 year old son is sick. Sore throat. Fever. Runny nose. Tonsils swollen so big they look like two sumo wrestlers going at it. He struggles to breathe, sleep, talk, eat. I can barely get him to taste a popsicle…and this kid loves popsicles.

The other night during the 4th quarter of the NBA Finals game (or 11pm-ish for you non-sports people) he woke up, crying for me. I ran to him and his body was so hot it felt like it was covered in liquid magma. Fevering, sad and scared, through his tears he commanded, “Mama, get your blanky and lay wiff me in my bed.”

I did. I scratched his back, held him close, prayed over him, and whispered in his ear how sad I felt that he was hurting. I told him I was sorry he had to go through all this, but that I believed he would heal. He needed rest, so I asked him if he wanted to lay against me. He said yes; I propped up our pillows and snuggled him into my left armpit. His whimpering and crying eventually died down.

Soon it was silent. I thought for sure he was sleeping there on my chest and I determined not to move an inch until morning. Then I felt his head lift up a little. In a sweet, soft voice, he said to me: “I hear your heart.”

I smiled.

It reminded me of our relationship with the Lord. So often, in suffering, we cry and whine and scream to Him and others about our pain; we ask why? or when it will stop? or we simply get angry and demand change; but we think very little about the Lord’s heart in the mess. It isn’t until we quiet ourselves and our spirits and choose to humbly nestle into our Father’s armpit, that we truly hear from Him. Only then, can we hear His true heart. Only then do we begin to feel the truths that His heart beats toward us…truths like:

Cast all your anxiety on Me because I care for you. 1 Peter 5:7

I go before you and will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:8; Hebrews 13:5

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. I am gentle and humble in heart, and in Me you will find rest for your soul. Matthew 11:28-29

Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for I will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

I am close to you and care about your broken heart. Psalm 34:18

I will help you. Hebrews 13:6

I will help you every step of the way. Proverbs 3:4-5

I am not distant; I hear your cries and count your tears. Psalm 22:24; 56:8: 116:1-2

One day I will wipe away every tear from your eyes. Revelation 21:3-4

My thoughts toward you are countless as the sand on the seashore. Psalms 139:17-18

I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28-30

I will be your hiding place, your shelter, your refuge, your safety. Psalm 46:1; 27:4-

I will be your comforter. Matthew 5:4

I want to comfort you and comfort others through you. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

I love you. John 3:16; 3:34

It is my desire to lavish my love on you. 1 John 3:1

I am your greatest encourager. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

I am for you. Romans 8:31

I knit you together in your mother’s womb. Psalm 139:13

I offer you more than your earthly father ever could. I am the perfect father. And I am so delighted you are my child. Matthew 7:11; 5:48

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

I am doing something new in you. 2 Corinthians 5:17

Nothing can ever separate us. Romans 8:37-39

My grace will carry you through this. It is sufficient. 2 Corinthians 12:9; Psalm 91:15

I will take care of you and supply all of your needs. Philipians 4:19

I want to give you the power and strength you need right now. I desire to see you soar! Isaiah 40:29-31

…and thats just a few thumps of His heartbeat for you and me.
Dig into His Word today to hear more.

____________________________________________
It's with great joy and pride for this mom to introduce you to my daughter. I praise God for her daily. What a blessing she is to my life. The greatest thing I have ever done is to give birth to this woman (and raise her too, of course! :)
Love you so much Nicole~ thanks for sharing with our Woven Women today! ~MOM (Cindy)
Here's the whole gang...loves of my life!

These are just a few raves about my girl...

Nicole Bromley is an international spokesperson on the issues of sexual abuse, rape and trafficking. She is the author of Hush: Moving from Silence to Healing After Childhood Sexual Abuse and Breathe: Finding Freedom to Thrive in Relationships After Childhood Sexual Abuse and the founder of OneVOICE (www.iamonevoice.org). She lives in Columbus, Ohio with her husband Matthew and sons, Jude and Isaac.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful Mom, daughter you are and So happy to read your words today, we can all share those times we complained, whined till we were quiet to hear God, knowing He was there. So blessed God gave you a Gift of your words and am so thankful you are giving those women a voice and helping them find healing of the abuse, showing them that they also can overcome...as you have! SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!