Thursday, June 14, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Higher Still


LIFE LESSON: Higher Still
By Kim Dent

Oh Lord, how many times have I raised my eyes to the mountains and asked,
"Where will my help come from? This journey has become more than I can bear.”
I hear you whisper,
"Take my yoke upon you. My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Come up higher, my love.”
Even with this tender invitation, I squirm in my flesh. The sin of unbelief taunts me. I do not want to go. Fear chokes me and I have no answer for you. Yet You, oh God, are not alarmed. You are already a step ahead of me, preparing the path so my foot does not slip. Even in my unbelief, You are surefooted and faithful.

Like a dedicated mountain guide, you gently call me again to come with you. I dawdle behind, like a bumbling, stumbling child...still wanting to "do it myself". Do it “my way”.You go before me, removing obstacles that would crush my spirit. You protect me. In ways mysterious and unknown you lead me higher still.

You allow me the opportunity to experience the climb in every facet: exhilaration, peril, hardship, persevering through pain and panic, facing my fears, rejoicing in hope, falling down, lingering in the tent of indecision, resting in your peace, losing my way and returning to you. Taking your hand, I dance in the morning mist and behold moments of breathtaking beauty from the heights. The darkness of the journey now a vague memory.I shout for joy and fall face down! You gaze upon me with twinkling eyes...and call me...higher still.

Oh the richness, passion, adventure of this journey with you, my God! Am I faint from the heights or from the fear? I do not know! I have come too far to leave your side now. I dare not turn back! The mountain can no longer be navigated on my own. I can see from this vantage point that my very life and the lives of my loved ones depend solely upon you, my Guide. I leave my backpack of self sufficiency and hurry, like a frightened child, into your outstretched arms. I have come to the end of myself.  You carry me...higher still.

I am tucked in, close to your heart. I become accustomed to your heartbeat, in tune with your breathing, in step with your Spirit. Your voice is all I hear and I am instructed. You teach me your ways. You speak of my journey...and the journey of others who will travel this way after me. The eyes of my heart are enlightened with every step. We are leaping on the mountain heights!

I move from strength to strength with my King, my Guide. With God's grace, I leave fear and insecurity behind. I have a purpose and a vision to fulfill! My weak and stumbling feet have been transformed somehow during the journey. I stand with strength and confidence that is not my own. I bow low to worship Him.

And I am transported...higher still.

 "I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber...
The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."
Psalm 121:1-3,8 NIV 1984

I pray you will allow Him to take you Higher Still today.
Your Woven Writers are praying for you!
With Love, Cindy

____________________________________________
How does it happen that a total stranger instantaneously becomes a best friend? Four years ago, I discovered a kindred spirit. We are Woven at the heart and joined at the hip! This is my sweet and precious friend Kim...
Kim has been married to her high school sweetheart for 26 years. She and Mark have two beautiful daughters, Kaitlyn and Emily, a rescued mutt named Otis and a pleasantly plump cat named Oscar. A former social worker and real estate agent, Kim now serves full time as Women's Ministry Director at High Mill Church in Canton, OH. Her mission is to inspire women toward courageous authenticity and freedom in Christ. She desires to be a woman who lives and loves like Jesus.

She is a Woven Women: a Woman of Virtue!

Read previous posts by Kim:
~Life Lessons: Songs In the Rain
~50 Days of Holy: Come In Awe
~40 Days of Virtue: Laugh Out Loud



3 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my friend Kim, you have the most amazing way with your words, so descriptive, so colorful, as I read I am anxious to unwrap each word, knowing that there is such a gift yet to be found. And as promised, there is a magnificent gift, the blessing of you. Your light shines on everyone and most of all, OUR LORD SHINES THROUGH YOU! SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement today! I am thankful we journey together

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!