Monday, June 25, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: God Fixes Things


LIFE LESSONS: God Fixes Things
by Kathleen Benis

“The Lord himself will go before you.
He will be with you,
He will not leave you or forsake you;
do not fear or be dismayed.”
Deuteronomy 31:8NKJV

My son will soon be a Daddy of a son. Wow! It truly is unbelievable!

Nathan was diagnosed bipolar at the age of sixteen. I was a desperate Mom. His doctor told me, “You don't get this Mrs. Benis, your boy is the worst case I have seen.”

When I heard him say those words, something rose up inside of me. I stood to my feet, looked him in the eyes and said, "I know I have two choices. One is, I will get a new doctor and the other is, I can take this to “Higher Courts”!

I took my son's hand, and left the doctor's office. I knew I had a problem so big that only God could fix it.

Early in this experience, my relationship with Jesus became real and alive. Major transitions took place in my soul. I fought negative influences. When fear gripped my heart and stole my strength, I sought godly alternatives to feed my spirit. Prayer and Bible study calmed my anxious thoughts. God gave me wisdom for the right course of action to take. He guided me to a Christian doctor. A doctor who prays over his patients. A doctor who found the right balance of medication to help my boy.

Mothers have a special relationship with their children. Sometimes that's especially so for mothers and sons. Mothers who pray for their children provide a banner of love like no other. It's certain that Nathan and I will never forget the special answers to prayer we've received.

Bipolar. It's such an unpredictable illness. Families feel so alone as they struggle through the starts and stops of life. In those alone times I remember teachings like “Learn to Soar with Eagles”, a Joyce Meyer study. In the word of God an eagle is used as an example. It provides a wonderful analogy of character traits. Developing these traits will help us enter into God's rest.

When an eagle feels a storm coming, he waits for the wind current to lift him to a higher place. I have learned to be content to wait for the wind of the Holy Spirit to lift me higher. Then I feel free to soar without limitations.

“Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.”
Isaiah 40:31NKJ

Father, give us wisdom to understand you,
Diligence to seek you,
and patience to wait for you.
Through the power and spirit of our Lord,
we ask that you protect and preserve
our children in your grace.
Amen

Realign your heart, your mind, your thoughts
with the God who fixes things.
Worship, pray, sing this song of surrender and trust.
Lord God, "You Are My Hiding Place"
(Selah)

_________________________________________
Always thankful for our Woven Leader Kathleen Benis. You can tell from her writing, she is an Irish powerhouse of Jesus-ness!
Love you, my sweet sister...always, Her Cindyness

Kathleen's husband Larry has given her 31years of happiness and now a beautiful home in Newark, Ohio, near their son Nathan and daughter-in-"love" Michelle.
Kathleen loves the Lord and loves sharing insights from God's Word. She loves to help others walk through the hard times, celebrate the good times and give hope in the messy-ness of life.
She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

4 comments:

  1. Beutiful devotional and song. I enjoy these personal sharings so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing reminder to take our concerns to God first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this today. Thank you for sharing from your heart. Deronda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed with the words of Woven Women. Kathleen, you make all us mothers proud. SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!