Monday, June 18, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Glow!

LIFE LESSONS: Glow!
by Cheryl Simpson

Answer the question, please.

At age 61, is one considered late middle-age or early old-age? Whatever the answer, when I look into the mirror, the result is the same.

I recently had a follow-up appointment with my plastic surgeon for some work that had to be done. While I was there, he spent time talking with me about how I could have a “more youthful glow”. What did he suggest? You guessed it! Botox and a $6,000 face lift.

Coincidently, the same week I had an appointment with my dermatologist who warned me against the dangers of too much sun exposure. She suggested her personal favorite sunscreen “Aveeno Positively Radiant.” She said this would aid in the attempts to have younger looking skin. With these two doctors looking at my face, I’ve been considering, “What makes me Glow?”

I know my husband's glow is due to our granddaughters…and deer hunting!

The glow in my son’s face is because of his wife and daughters…and deer hunting!

If you want to see my daughter’s face glow, talk to her about her girls and her latest athletic accomplishments!

But my glow? It comes from a deep peace in my heart from the Lord. He puts a song in my heart and a kick in my step. I must be on guard, however. I know that there can be a robber of “The Glow!” For me, the thief is being overcommitted. Often I look at my calendar and think, "Why did I schedule so much?"

Family priorities and ministry responsibilities all have unexpected details attached. I am so thankful my Heavenly Father keeps me sane. He keeps me even keel although I know He is yearning for more of me…to Be, not Do! I praise Him for the song that He continually gives me: an unending song of glory for the God of my Glow!

“You are the light of the world.
A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.
Instead they put it on its stand,
and it gives light to everyone in the house.
In the same way, let your light shine before men,
that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
Matthew 5:4-16

Father, Thank you for the desire you have put in my heart to be your light. In my busy schedule let me be always mindful of your presence and your provision. Let me be walking with you, always thanking you, and praising you that You Are the Great I AM. No matter my age, I want to always Glow for you! Amen and Amen.



_______________________________________________________
I am so thankful for this Woven Woman! She truly does GLOW! Appreciate how she loves people and especially our Woven Women at Newark Naz. ~Loving You! Cindy


 

                                                
Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene.

She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!