Thursday, June 7, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Faith

Deronda and her grandson Colin

LIFE LESSON: Faith
by Deronda Bryant

I could quote the ‘faith’ scriptures. I knew them all. But I discovered I only knew about faith. I didn't live in faith.

Our grandson’s birth was a joyous occasion. We celebrated Colin’s first birthday with cakes, balloons, family and friends. We noticed Colin didn’t seem to hear us. He wouldn’t look at us and was content to play alone. We assumed we were boring him. We even laughed about it. Before his second birthday, he was diagnosed with autism.

Fear took over my life. Anxiety robbed me of my joy. The “what if’s” plagued my mind. I couldn’t sleep. I was weary of carrying this burden. One Sunday, I walked to the front of my church, knelt on my knees, and poured my grief and pain out to God. He delivered me. The peace I experienced was beyond what I thought was possible.

I knew and believed God had a plan; and I knew I had to take responsibility to walk in it. How would I live in faith?  

§        A friend gave me a beautiful plaque that says “Faith, to light the darkened sky”. I put it on my wall as a daily reminder.

§        I joined a weekly women’s bible study at my church. 

§        I read scripture. Psalm 91 especially spoke to me. I wrote my grandson’s name in the margin.  I love the entire chapter, but focused on Psalm 91:4-5:

“He will cover you with His pinions (feathers), and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler.  You shall not be afraid of the terror of the night, nor of the arrow that flies by day.”

I once read, “Your life is destined to have an eternal significance, and it will most likely begin on the heels of an interruption”.  I would not be where I am today if not for the ‘’interruption’’ in my life. I don’t know what your life interruption is. It’s probably different than mine. But I do know that God will use your circumstance for His glory. It will take obedience, and obedience requires faith.

There can be joy in the midst of your pain. Allow Him to show you His great and mighty plan for your life. He delivered me.  I know He will do the same for you. Read and pray this as your prayer of surrender:

“Dear Lord, I turn to you in my weakness. I know and believe you are in control. You have a plan for my life. You know my pain. I turn to You in my suffering today. I want to release everything into your hands, Lord, I want to walk in faith. You are my source of hope, peace and joy.  Restore my hope and help me to live in faith. Heal my heart, I pray. In Jesus Name, Amen.”

May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace (Eph. 1:2NLT).”

I love this song by Michael W. Smith. Enjoy!

____________________________________________
I am happy to introduce you to my new friend Deronda! She will be contributing to our summer blog series.

Deronda grew up as a pastor's daughter. She loves God with all her heart. Her desire is to teach love, compassion, and mercy to the hurting.

Deronda and hubby Rick of 35 years live in Massillon, Ohio. They have two daughters; both married and work as RN's. They also have 3 grandsons, two of which have autism. Deronda is in a new stage of life, excited to see where God is taking her. She is writing a book about autism.

She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

Other Post by Deronda: 50 Days of Holy! Sometimes I Dance

4 comments:

  1. Deronda...God Bless you and your beautiful words. You so openly shared your pain of Colin's diagnosis of autism. There are so many other families sharing this same pain in this world today. You are showing them that God will comfort their suffering and give them hope. You are the voice they need to hear. I am praising God for the strength He has given you to stand up and educate this world. I am so grateful to have you in my life, your heart is so loving and giving. God has blessed you with a beautiful gift of sharing your words. Love and blessings, SallyAnne Trissel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally - Thank you for your beautiful words to me. God is good. He is faithful. I am blessed beyond words to have met you. Blessings & love ~ Deronda

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing! You are learning and you will be an encouragement to others facing similar stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret - I am learning alot. Thanks to you, Marykay and numerous others. Women who truly care about other women and take time to encourage & uplift each other. When I think of where I was...and where I am now - I cannot help but SMILE and praise God. Love you, Deronda

      Delete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!