Tuesday, June 26, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Comparison Trap


Caught in a trap
Yet unaware of the grip
That holds them captive.
-Margaret Slabach

LIFE LESSON: Comparison Trap
by Margaret Slabach
We stood in amusement and amazement at what we saw. Her leg was caught in the trap. She was obviously trying to escape, dragging the trap along with her. Inevitably, the trap was the end of her. She died.

God spoke to me through that poor little mouse’s dilemma … about the deadly comparison trap.

*****
Not again! The allure of the bait is so strong, like that of a siren song to a sailor. But the bait bids me to partake of its delicacies.

If I give in, it will be the birth of death…
     death of who I am
     death of my purpose
     death of fulfillment
     death of satisfaction
     death of accomplishment
     death of my reliance upon God
and misery because I cannot keep up the facade any longer.

Oh how I want to give in! But I am not sure why. What good can possibly come of it?
     resentment?
     gossip?
     jealousy?
     hopelessness?
     bitterness?
     despair?

COMPARISON BRINGS NOTHING BUT DEATH!
It’s a slam against my beloved Father who created me. It says I don’t trust Him and what He has done within me. It calls His character into question, saying He really doesn’t know what He is doing with my life. It puts me in a position of superiority, as though I am wiser than God. How ludicrous!

I know better than that, and yet… the carefully laid trap of comparison relentlessly lures me. I cannot, I must not, give in. I will take IT captive! I will choose to trust God.

*****
Oh Father God,
You so lovingly created and designed me for your purpose, a plan designed perfectly for me. Help me to embrace the true me and not chase after another’s design. Help me to stay focused on You and Your promises to me. Forgive me for times I have coveted the gifting of other women. I choose to let go of fear that my gifts aren’t good enough, that I won’t measure up. Even worse: that I will fail. I need your help, Lord. Set me free.
"Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I entrust my life (Ps. 143:8NIV)."
Amen.

I am the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go. 
Isaiah 48:17 NIV

I will instruct you and teach you
in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with My loving eye on you.  
Psalm 32:8 NIV

 
Thoughts to ponder and journal:

 Are you willing to be freed from the comparison trap?
 Will you allow God to lead you?
 Why? Why not?
 List your fears?
 What steps must you take to be free?

_________________________________________

Margaret and her husband Jim are celebrating 40 years of marriage. They have 3 children and 8 multicultural grandchildren. She is the Office Manager at High Mill Church in Canton, Ohio.
Besides being grandma, she loves photography, reading, studying, and writing. She has unoffically published Trickles from the Soul, a compilation of her poetry and photography. Margaret's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!