Saturday, June 16, 2012

LIFE LESSONS: Be Mine


LIFE LESSON: Be Mine
by Toni Spaulding

While reading Isaiah 43, I was blessed to hear the word of the Lord speaking to my heart. It begins with these strong statements (paraphrased),
"Thus says the Lord, I have created you and formed you. Have No Fear! I have rescued and redeemed you."

After really thinking about these words, a wonderful peace came over me. This is not just some ordinary person making a few glib statements to try and lift my spirits. This is my Father speaking His truth to me! I am so important to God that He knows my name. He claims me as His own. I love the words that follow, “You are Mine”.

I remember as a little girl getting so excited about Valentine’s Day. At school we would plan two weeks ahead for the big day. The preparation was half the fun! We would make a Valentine box to receive cards and make sure we had a valentine card to give everyone.

Finally, on Valentine’s Day, we started with prayer and the party began. Once we placed our beautiful box on our desk, it was a free for all! Going around the room, we put our cards in each other’s boxes. Who would get the prettiest, the funniest? And of course, the most important card of all was “the love card”! You know the one. It says “Be Mine”.

At the end of the party, we sat down to eat our treats and the fun began. Fast and furious, we looked at each card until that “Ah-ha” moment when that special card was found. Holding your breath, you slowly turned the card over to see who signed it.Like most girls, I wanted to read those words, “Be Mine”. It meant that you were special to someone, someone you really liked and thought was soooo cute. (Girl, you know what I mean!)

On Valentine’s Day, 1955, “that boy” in my second grade class was Michael. But when I looked at my card, it was signed… “Billy!” OH NO! I hated Billy! Though I received many wonderful cards, the only card I really wanted was the “Be Mine” card: from Michael…NOT Billy!

Recalling that disappointing moment, I remember other times when my heart cried out for someone to say “Be Mine”. Every time ended with sorrow and disappointment. I discovered my true love forty years ago, when I finally cried out to God. In response, I heard the gentle voice of the Holy Spirit, saying “Be Mine.”

As I continue to listen for His gentle voice, I am blessed beyond my hopes and dreams. I marvel at His deep, abiding love. He does not disappoint or bring me sorrow. The Lord has also blessed me with a wonderful partner who, after 44 years, still says, “Be Mine”. I always respond with a yes to him, and also to the Holy Spirit’s voice as He continually seeks my commitment to those same words, “Be Mine”.

In Jeremiah 31:3, the Lord says, “I have loved you with an everlasting love and have drawn you to myself with loving kindness.”

Will you join me as I surrender once again to this love that satisfies the desires of our heart? I pray this verse:
  • Will bring you gladness not sorrow.
  • Will give you confidence in knowing you are God’s girl
  • Will encourage you to surrender to the Holy Spirit’s love-cry, “You are Mine”

    Thank you Toni, for providing this perfect opportunity to share one of my fave songs. What a great way to finish our week...and prepare to worship Him Sunday. He truly does love us! May we sing this endless chorus as we worship God around the world and around the clock.
    He Loves YOU!  (and I do too) ~ Cindy

______________________________________________
It's a pleasure again to introduce you to Toni. Our paths have crossed in many arenas over the years, most of which were ministry opportunities. I know for a fact that she cares deeply about others and loves to serve God. Thank you Toni! ~~Cindy

Toni has been married to Dave for 43 years and a pastor's wife for 32 years. They have two married children, Dawn and Jonathon, and four grandchildren.

Toni has been the owner/operator of Curves in Mt. Vernon, Ohio, for the past 12 years. Curves has been an amazing ministry opportunity, allowing her to reach out to women in need. She also serves as Director of Women’s Ministry at Mount Vernon First Church of the Nazarene.

She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!
 
Another Recent Post by Toni:
LIFE LESSON: Bling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!