Tuesday, May 1, 2012

50 Days of Holy! Marching In Step

By Cheryl Simpson


“But the fruit of the Spirit is
love, joy, peace,
patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness and self-control...
Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”
~Galatians 5:22-25NIV

I have wonderful memories of being in the marching band in high school. An uncle who helped meet  the needs of my family wanted to give me an instrument, thus I received a trumpet. This is not what I would have chosen. However, it was my uncle’s gift. So off I went a-marching.
How is it that members of a marching band can march and play their instruments at the same time? Multi-tasking is clearly impossible for me. I need to be centered on one thing at a time. No interruptions, please, or I really get side-tracked. This high school experience was clearly not for me!
As I grow in my spiritual journey, I realize it's the same with my walk in the Holy Spirit. I need FOCUS to listen. I must first and foremost submit to what God is calling me to do with my life. In my daily decision making and in my relationships with people, God calls me to surrender all and to keep in step with His Spirit day-by-day. He calls me to do away with anything that might displease Him. He wants to know, “Do you love what I love?” He wants a life that bears fruit for Him; to exhibit to others the ways in which He is able to transform our lives.
*God  speaks directly to us about walking in humility as we keep in step with Him. We are reminded of Micah 6:8

“He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God(NIV).”


*As I keep in the step with the Spirit, I understand more and more about living a sacrificial life.

“The sacrifices of God are a broken  spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God you will not despise (Psalm 51: 17) .”  
“Therefore , I urge you brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1).”

*As we keep in step our hearts are filled with love.

 “And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 5:2).”


I remember an elementary teacher who would always say, “I am walking, walking ,walking, I’m not talking, talking, talking.” 
Let's examine ourselves today by asking, “Am I hearing His voice and responding in obedience? Am I truly marching in step with the Holy Spirit and not just blowing my trumpet?”

Dear Father,
I praise you specifically today for your gift of the Holy Spirit. I pray right now,
“Come and make my heart your home, be everything I am and all I know
Search me through and through,  Till my heart becomes a home for you. Amen and Amen


_______________________________________________________

Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene. She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!


1 comment:

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!