Thursday, May 24, 2012

50 Days of Holy! Juicing With Joyce

 Juicing With Joyce
by
Kathleen Benis
Why are you in despair, O my soul?
And why have you become disturbed within me?
Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him
for the help of His presence.”
Psalm 42:5 NASB

Growing up I was blessed with a life of learning about God and how to walk in His ways. These teachings gave me boundaries and a sense of security. And yet, I felt incomplete. Something was missing in my relationship with the Lord.




Fast-forward to Spring of 1994. I was on the fast-track to success. Climbing the corporate ladder, I longed for a simpler life. God sent a neighbor to tell me about Jesus. She shared that if I asked Jesus into my heart, He would change my life. As I began to pursue Jesus, Jesus began to work out His plan. 
 
 
To my surprise, my workplace moved their headquarters to Cincinnati. I was left without a job. Exhausted. Uncertain. Not knowing what to do. God had literally plucked me out of my fast-paced lifestyle and sat me down in the middle of my living room.

 






Well...now what am I to do?
I felt demoted. Insignificant. Alone and unimportant.

With time to spare, I began to walk my neighborhood. I met some great neighbors that I never had the time for. Before I knew it, I was caring for two newborns on our street. While shaking rattles, I surfed the television channels. One morning I stopped to listen to a woman speaker named Joyce Meyer. It was captivating to hear God's word being taught. I began a morning ritual. Putting the babies in their bouncy seats. Serving them a fresh bottle of juice. Opening my Bible as Joyce taught “Life in the Word”.



Those babies must have thought Joyce came to visit each day. Their little feet would start kicking when they heard her voice. My heart would start ticking as I listened to her words. She shared our need for a counselor. She explained how God has sent The Holy Spirit, who is our Counselor, our Advocate, our Helper, a representative of Christ.
Jesus had slowed my run to a crawl. He provided this down time to teach me to listen. The Holy Spirit walked into my unhurried life. I learned to distinguish His voice apart from my own thoughts and intuition. The Holy Spirit became my perfect Counselor. His words personally and intimately transformed my heart. He gave me new purpose. He filled the void of "what was missing" in my heart: a spirit-filled relationship with God.
 
 
Those newborn babies graduate this year. Who would have guessed that as I cared for them, I was a newborn babe as well! I was being spiritually birthed and bathed in Christ, sanctified by His Holy Spirit. I have long since graduated, but will never stop growing! Life in the Spirit is an ever-widening circle of holiness.
 
 

As I reflect back on those fleeting years, my husband is listening to an old Frank Sinatra song, “My Way”. I am so grateful for how the Holy Spirit captured my heart and drew me from a life of “My Way”, to a life of "His Ways". His way is the holy way! And that's the only way I want to live.










"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways, acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6NIV1984)."
_________________________________________
Kathleen's husband Larry has given her 31years of happiness and now a beautiful home in Newark, Ohio, near their son Nathan and daughter-in-"love" Michelle.

Kathleen loves the Lord and loves sharing insights from God's Word. She loves to help others walk through the hard times, celebrate the good times and give hope in the messy-ness of life.
She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the crazy spacing on today's post! Sometimes Blogger and I just do not get along.

    I am so thankful for how God took our Kathleen aside and introduced her to the Holy Spirit. This woman is a powerhouse of God's word and wisdom. I wish you could all meet her in person. So thankful to have you on our Woven leadership team, Kathleen!
    Love you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!