Wednesday, May 9, 2012

50 Days of Holy! Holy Hands


Holy Hands
by Kathleen Benis
"I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you,
which dwelt first in your grandmother, and your mother,
and I am persuaded is in you also."
2Timothy 1:5


I can still see my mom putting on the coffee. Starting a load of wash. Asking me to remind her to save a piece of wet clothing to put in the dryer later. Sounds like a strange request? Well, she had a special purpose in mind. John and Mary were coming over. 

Today, John would likely be diagnosed "autistic". Back then, we didn't know how to describe him. One thing was for sure: Mary, his mother, needed loved on and encouraged in the word of God.

John would sit on a small stool in front of the dryer and watch through the glass door as the reserved piece of clothing was tossed round and round. My mom rubbed Mary's back as she poured out her grief. It was so difficult to communicate with her sweet boy who had no verbal skills. She needed a listening ear. Mother was sensitive to her needs.

As I served coffee and danish, I listened to my mother's words of the tender mercy of God.  There where many days like this at our house. Women from church being blessed by God as He anointed  my mother's words. I had no idea that at the same time, God was pouring that richness into me.

I thank Jesus for the example of my mom. I think of my grandmother. Her husband, my grandfather, died before my mother was born.  And my grandmother died before I was born, when my mom was pregnant for me. I never had the chance to meet her, but my mom would often admire my hands and say, "You have your grandmother's hands, the hands of a great prayer warrior.”

The Lord has blessed me to fan the flame of love, encouragement, and prayer that were evident in my mother and grandmother. He planted these seeds of God-given potential within my heart. Now, through the power of the Holy Spirit, He has gifted me to continue the work of my grandmother and mother. Wow, what a privilege to hear these same gifts flowing through me to influence others in positive God-assuring ways. He continually directs my path on divine appointments where I can be Jesus to others.
" There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.(1 Corinthians 12:4-6)."

Whatever your gift, it is God breathed: perfectly designed by God just for you.
  • Discover your God-given inner qualities, gifts of the Spirit. 
  • Allow them to blossom as you use and apply them.  
  • Give your life away! And, oh, how it will bless you, give you joy, and bring honor to Jesus!

Thank you Jesus, for the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. He imparts divine wisdom and enables me to operate in the gifts you have given me. Help me to discover and apply my God-given gifts. I  give You my life today. I want to be your hands and feet to a hurting world, bringing lasting beauty that is precious in your sight. To God be the glory! Amen.
_________________________________________
Kathleen's husband Larry has given her 31years of happiness and now a beautiful home in Newark, Ohio, near their son Nathan and daughter-in-"love" Michelle.

Kathleen loves the Lord and loves sharing insights from God's Word. She loves to help others walk through the hard times, celebrate the good times and give hope in the messy-ness of life.
She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! Made me want to cry. Your mother sounds so amazing. She was a good example and you were a great apprentice! The lives you are touching with your grandmother's hands is remarkable. I affirm you in your gifts of intercession, encouragement, and serving! Very thankful for you, Kathleen.
    Love! Love! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful post. It truly blessed my morning. Thank you. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting Donna. It's always nice to hear from a sister blogger/writer!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!