Wednesday, May 16, 2012

50 Days of Holy! The Great Adventure


"But thanks be to God,
who always leads us in triumphant procession in Christ..."
2 Corinthians 2:14a

If you've not yet caught the meaning to our blogging madness this week, we are talking about how the Holy Spirit applies God's word to our hearts. He uses God's word to bring conviction (correction/discipline), direction (God's will), application, supplication (prayer), devotion (commitment, obedience). God's word is the road map. The Holy Spirit is our navigator, our guide.

After twenty years of depending upon the Holy Spirit to lead me on life's journey, I cannot imagine going it alone. One thing is for sure, I could never have come up with the adventures that God has unfolded before me as I have followed Him.

The year of 2001 is one such adventure. The Holy Spirit was tugging at my heart to resign from the church I was pastoring. Though I was reluctant, I was obedient. My final Sunday was Sept. 7, 2001. I left that church wondering, "What's next, Lord?" I questioned His plans for my future, with no idea that in just two days, an international event would lead to my next ministry assignment.

As I watched the news coverage of the World Trade Center disaster, I knew I had to go. I was incredibly compelled, called, to come to the aid of the hurting hearts of New York City. How would I gain access? What would I do once I was there? God answered my questions. He definitely led me.

For several months, I had been compelled to attend a Billy Graham School of Evangelism. Now I took that tugging on my heart seriously. There were so many fine details of God's leading and affirming that it is just incredible. But I am confined to the "condensed version". This was what my "triumphant procession in Christ" looked like:
  • October: My husband and I attended a BGEA School of Evangelism in Fresno, California.
    • My hubby actually took a week of vacation to go with me. Now, there's an affirmation!
    • They announced that BGEA had a 9-11 House of Prayer in NYC and an evangelistic outreach to the city of New York.
  • November 11: I arrived with a friend in NYC for two weeks of outreach through BGEA and Harvest Christian Fellowship.
    • We did street evangelism, worked with Salvation Army, Nino's Restaurant, FEMA, Red Cross, etc.
    • We listened to countless rescue workers and victims of the attack, offering them comfort and hope and prayer.
  • December: I returned to NYC to The Lamb's Manhatten Church of the Nazarene on Times Square to recruit, train, and lead volunteers to counsel victims. Hundreds were witnessed to and received Jesus Christ as their Savior.
  • January-June: I continued in a capacity of outreach and pastoral ministries at The Lamb's.
I share this journey not to build myself up. For I am nothing without Christ. I share it to demonstrate that God's plans are greater than anything we can dream up for ourselves. To have been used by God in this way is still beyond what I could ask or imagine. It is difficult for me to process even now, eleven years later: that God would choose, call, send, and use me for this unimaginable task. It totally blows my mind!

"Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant: not of the letter, but of the Spirit...(2Cor.3:4-6NIV1984).

  • Has the Holy Spirit been tugging at your heart?
  • Is God asking you to do the unimaginable for Him?
  • Do you feel incompetent, incapable of following through?
  • Are you waiting, wondering what your purpose is? What God's will is for your life?
He wants nothing more than to lead you on the adventure of a lifetime! The only job qualifications are willing hands and an obedient heart. When the Holy Spirit leads, you will be surprised at the confidence you have, to do what you have never done before.

Let this be your prayer today:

Lord,
I "throw off everything that hinders me and the sin that so easily entangles.
I run with perseverence the race you have marked out for me. 
I fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of my faith.(from Hebrews 12:1-2aNIV1984)."
Show me the plans you have for me. I want to be obedient to your every desire. I want to live in anticipation of your Holy Spirit's whispers and His tugging on my heart.
In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!