Thursday, April 26, 2012

50 Days of Holy! Wake Up Call


"Then we will no longer be infants, tossed  back and forth
...and blown here and there...
Instead, speaking the truth in love,
we will in all things grow up into Him who is the Head,
that is, Christ."
~Ephesians 4:15NIV 


It's 3am and I am wide awake!
Unusual? Not really! It's been this way since the day I was sanctified by the Holy Spirit; the morning I wrote about in my post, "The Gift (Part One)". That morning I awoke at 2:30am. And morning after morning after morning since that one morning, my sleep pattern changed. My life had totally changed! The Holy Spirit became my Life Director, my Heart Corrector, my Intimate Instructor!

The Lord had so much to say to me! He had so many things for me to pray about. He wanted to teach me treasures from His word. He wanted me to encourage and teach others; to "build up the body of Christ"(Eph. 4:12). And, He knows me so well that He knew the exact hour that I would be His most attentive student; when my heart would be most teachable. At 2:30am, I was totally HIS! My Master had my full attention. When all else was still, there were no other demands on my time. That hour was even too early for my little white fluffball of a dog!

He obviously knows how easily distracted I am. He has to get His time in with me while it's too dark for me to see my surroundings. I love it! This precious sweet time in the Spirit of God, the Lord's presence enveloping me. His peace filling me for another day, giving me my life plan, adjusting my agenda with His task list. Sometimes He even surprises me with profound revelation, a vision of His divine dreams for my future. He reminds me that I am His, that He is mine. His plans are profitable and good and they do come to pass.

What about my need for sleep, you ask? Am I not distracted just by the sheer desire to go back to sleep? Well, once in a while. But most mornings, when God awakens me, I awake so refreshed, so alive and attentive...which is never the case when it's just me waking up at a normal time of day.

Have I ever questioned this? You betcha! Which brings me to a morning in those early years of my wake-up calls; a morning etched in my memory forever. As part of my prayer time, a pattern was developing. It seemed like every morning the Holy Spirit would prompt my heart with a certain gal-pal, to write a note of encouragement or send an email with a specific message especially for her.

I suppose it was a morning in which I was a bit hesitant to share what came to mind, it felt a bit too assumptive, too bold. It was someone I didn't know all that well; it felt like I may be crossing boundaries. I feared she would be offended. I remember saying, "Lord, is this really you?" In that moment of asking, my eyes fell on this verse in my Bible, which was lying open in my lap:
"The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary.
He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear like one being taught (Isaiah 50:4)."
I am almost as "wow"-ed this morning as I was that first morning I discovered this passage. THIS is how intimate our Father-God is! His answers are in His book. And He applies them to our heart through the Holy Spirit. 

The really crazy thing is this: since that day in 1994 when I gave God control of my life, He has been my wake-up call. He knows my schedule and I know I can trust Him with it. I rarely set an alarm because "He wakens me morning by morning."

And all those personal notes I wrote? Time after time, the recipients responded, "How did you know? Your words were exactly what I needed to hear!"

Do you find yourself awake all hours of the night? Maybe God is calling you to pray! He has divine secrets to share with you. Grab your Bible, and your journal. It's time to grow!




2 comments:

  1. Bernadette SmithThursday, 26 April, 2012

    You know I love walking about the house in the middle of the night. It is so comforting to tuck them all in one more time, make a cup of tea and sit in the soft light of outside. I never thought that God was waking me but he is the one I always end up talking to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and special...those quiet hours of the night. And God is always up and listening!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!