Friday, April 20, 2012

50 Days of Holy! The Gift (Part One)

"So I say to you:
Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find;
knock
and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives;
he who seeks finds;
and to him who knocks
the door will be opened."
Luke 11:9-10



My Day of Pentecost 

I remember it well. I was in my mid-thirties: a widow, mom, college student, seeker of Truth. God was revealing Himself in His word, in the classroom, in chapel, in my studies, in my brokenness and in my healing. Something was stirring deep within: a sense of calling. The Holy Spirit was wooing me  to ask, seek, knock.

The pivotal moment arrived with a missionary couple, who spoke in chapel. I don't recall anything about their message. I do remember crying so much that I was unable to speak when I responded to their offer for a personal appointment that afternoon. More importantly, I remember their instructions on how to ask.

I can still see this woman demonstrating the act of surrendering to the Holy Spirit. With her hands held out before her, she turned her palms upward, took a deep breath, and exhaled as she raised them toward the heavens and prayed that God would take anything and everything that she was holding back from Him. Surrendering it all.

She seemed to know what I needed even though I could not speak! That night I awoke at 2:30am. I gave it all to God. In return, I received the fullness of the gift of the Holy Spirit. My tears of pain, sorrow, grief were translated into tears of unbelievable love and joy! Oh, the love...it was overflowing, uncontainable, inconceivable! Enough to love even those I had considered unloveable!

In this passage in Luke 11, Jesus is teaching the disciples about prayer. He uses an object lesson about how we, as parents, love to give good gifts to our children. We enjoy seeing their faces light up with joy, we anticipate the reciprocal love that we will get in return when they open that anticipated present. Then he says,
"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!(Luke 11:13NIV)"
You may find yourself not fully understanding this message, but truly sensing the Holy Spirit's wooing in your heart to go deeper with God, to ask, seek, knock. Understanding the message is not a prerequisite for receiving the Holy Spirit. "...No one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God (1Cor. 2:11b)."

As I wrote in yesterday's post, we receive The Deposit of the Holy Spirit when we first believe in Christ. We come into the fullness of the Holy Spirit when we surrender and ask, seek, knock.

This is a forever journey! An incredible adventure with God through His Holy Spirit!

"For this reason, I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you (2Tim. 1:6NIV)."

Holy God,
I am asking, seeking, longing for your Holy Spirit to be fully alive and fully manifested in my life today. I want to be totally yours. I know there are still areas in my life that I am clinging to, holding back from you. Show me what these are. (Listen for God to impress this upon your heart; write them down).

I  now release these things from my hands into your all-powerful hands. I want more of you, Lord God. Cleanse me deep within. Fill me with your gift of the Holy Spirit. Pour out your love to me and through me. I pray this in Jesus Name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!