Tuesday, April 24, 2012

50 Days of Holy! Daily Surrender

50 Days of Holy!
Daily Surrender
by
Cheryl Simpson

“Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean
Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness
Let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
Or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.”
 Psalm 51:7-8 

It’s Wednesday night prayer meeting again in my heart. I know, I know! Thirty years have passed, but again, I find I am STILL singing the songs: “What a won-der-ful change in my heart has been wrought, since Je-sus came in-to my heart!”  Reliving the testimonies.  Feeling the praise of believers. Sensing the thanksgiving for sins forgiven.
 
 
One Wednesday night in particular is vivid in my mind. I remember the influence of a beautiful young woman, Laura Redman, singing “Broken and Spilled Out.” Her countenance was radiant as she sang; she was completely and totally surrendered to the Lord. The lyrics of the song reflect the story in Mark 14:3-9, when a young village woman came with an alabaster jar of costly perfume and poured it on the head of Jesus. 




Just as the jar was broken, our prayer should be “Let me be broken and spilled out for you.” Feeling totally convicted in that moment, I still remember the tears as I prayed, “Let me be broken and spilled out for you.” Since that moment, my daily prayer: "Let me be broken and spilled out for you."
I was "getting it"! My heart and head were in unison. Daily surrender would keep me in step with the Holy Spirit. Years later, at a Walk to Emmaus weekend retreat, God's Spirit was checking me in more areas of my life. I can't remember crying so much in my entire life. These were “dying moments” of old habits and the birthing of a new prayer in my heart, "Not my will but your will, Lord."
Paul wrote to the church in Rome, and in doing so, speaks to us today.
“The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.  You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you...The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children (Romans 8:6NIV)."
I love these beautiful words of truth:  God’s spirit living within us, speaking to us personally, leading us in His truth for our daily life. Our greatest fortune is to spend time in God’s presence, reading His Word, even gleaning from devotionals written by Christian leaders. I am continually in awe of His presence and the Holy Spirit’s message of truth communicated to my Spirit and to yours.


In this daily practice of surrender, I have found the “peace that passes all understanding.” I have been filled with “joy unspeakable and full of Glory.

May this be our prayer today: 
Abba Father,
Thank you for saving me through your precious son Jesus Christ. Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to remind me and assure me that I am Yours.
'Let me be broken and spilled out for you.'
Help me to share life's richest treasures. May I be humble and giving. May I be ever aware that you have called me out of the darkness  and into Your light. Remind me that I am Your divine revelation to a world that does not know you.  Help me to shine!
'Not my will but your will, Lord.'
I release my grip on this world. I eagerly anticipate the fulfillment of Your plans. I surrender and walk with you every day of my life. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.
____________________________________________

Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene. She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!