Monday, April 16, 2012

50 Days of Holy! The Counselor


"And I will ask the Father,
and he will give you another Counselor
to be with you forever..."
John 14:16NLT
It was five years ago this October, in the fourth year of planting and pastoring a spanking new church. Circumstances converged, bringing my life to a crashing halt. I awoke morning after dreaded morning, trying to pull myself together, putting on make-up as the tears rolled down my face (not an easy thing to do!). It seemed overnight. Suddenly I was unable to face a new day. I wondered how I would get to the office, emotional wreck that I was! I was forced to make a dreaded phone call, to admit my need for help.

The tables had turned on this woman pastor. Always the one counseling and offering advice, I was now in need of a counselor. It was humbling to walk through those doors and offer the weak, crumpled-up version of myself before this woman I had vaguely been introduced to. Her sweet spirit and Godly wisdom were like drinking from a deep well of relief. She gave me permission to take some time off, to rest, to grieve, to heal, to allow God to make all things new in me.

Tears well up in my heart as I speak of her, as I share this power of permission. It's the power of a heart at peace. It's the power to stop doing, the practice of BEing. It's admitting our powerlessness, our weakness. It's the sobering realization that life will go on without us, people will adapt to our absence, and God is the only Provider of our needs.

When Jesus spoke these words in John 14, He was explaining to the disciples that His life and ministry would abruptly end. He was attempting to share that the road ahead was paved with His utmost humility. He would become powerless, weak, unable to lead them. He warned that they would grieve, but their grief would turn to joy. He was placing this work of church-planting into their hands.


Though it appeared that Jesus was the one in need of a counselor, He spoke to them of The Counselor that would come in His place. 
"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid (John 14:26-27NLT)."
This word "counselor" is the powerful "parakletos" in Greek terms, which means "a person summoned to one's aid".  Jesus had been their wise counselor, but The Holy Spirit would continue the work Jesus had begun in them. He would direct and lead the disciples. He would come to live in the very depth of their being.

The Counselor is IN!
This Counselor lives and breathes in every Christian! He is our paraklete, our advocate, our personal assistant, our teacher. He is the spiritual compass that directs our path if we allow Him. One way He does this is to "remind us of everything" God has said to us in His word, which is also a reminder that we need to read His word!  He is the inner "peace" that Jesus promised to give us, the peace that comes through obedience.

Are you in need of wise counsel?
There is none wiser than the One implanted within the heart of every believer of Christ. Tap into this wisdom every day. "The Spirit helps us in our weakness (Romans 8:26)."

There are times we come to a fork in the road. We need a guide to help us navigate God's path. Don't be afraid to seek the help of a professional. When you do, be sure that person is in tune with the Holy Spirit. My counselor always pointed me to The Counselor who dwells within my very soul. Because of that, I am healthy and whole.

Continue to tune in this week as we take a closer look at the role of God's Holy Spirit in our lives. May you experience Him anew as you pause and seek Him today. Be blessed!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!