Wednesday, April 11, 2012

50 Days of Holy! Come In Awe


50 Days of Holy!
"Come In Awe"
by
Kim James Dent

"Come up here," the heavenly voice trumpeted. Can you imagine what John felt when he was summoned by the Spirit into the very throne room of the Almighty God?

Revelation chapter four shares John's eyewitness account of this impromptu field trip to heaven. He describes the One sitting on the throne as having the appearance of jasper and carnelian. An emerald rainbow and twenty-four other thrones with gold-crowned elders, all dressed in white, surrounded the great throne. Lightning flashed. Thunder roared. Lamps were blazing. Crystal seas accentuated four creatures, covered in eyes, that echoed a continuous chorus of praise. 
"Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come(Rev. 4:8)."

The elders follow suit, casting their crowns at the foot of the One who sits on the throne.  And in unison they sing,


"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being (vs.11)."


Wow! After reading that account, I have a renewed awe and fear of The Lord.
  • How often do I just barge in with my agenda, my worries, my prayers and my ideas? 
  • How often have I gone on and on and not allowed the time or the quiet to hear God's reply? 
  • How many times have I left His presence without basking in the glory and holiness of The Holy Spirit!
I wouldn't act that way with a friend…making it all about me, my stuff, my interests, my questions…and yet, if I am honest, I have done this very thing to my Lord.

When I take just a moment and consider to Whom I am speaking with before I pray, my only response is AWE...or stunned silence.  I'm sure that if I were face-to-face with My King, I would not be blathering on like I do in my everyday quiet time with Him. Why is that? Why do we often approach prayer as a given and halfheartedly throw our requests at God without giving it (or God) a second thought? Could it be that we have become too casual with God's Holiness?

Solomon has some heavy words for those of us who are quick to rush into God's presence.
"Guard your steps when you go to the house of God…Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few (Ecclesiastes 5:1-2)."

What if The Lord summoned YOU to his throne room?
What do you think would be the first thing to come out of your mouth the moment you first saw God?   
Hmmm….seems I am suddenly speechless…drawn, like a moth to the flame, as I join the endless echoes of "Holy, Holy, Holy…"

My Holy Lord Jesus,
I come before you with repentance in my heart for the casual way I have entered your presence. May your Holy Spirit help me to grow in grace and humility as I gaze upon Your Holiness and quiet my heart before You. 
Teach me, Father, to revere your name. Not to shy away from you but to approach you as I should: with a heart of awe and love and reverence for the One who created me…the One who has given me my very life. To You O Lord be all the glory and honor and praise now and forever! In the sweet and holy Name of Jesus, Amen.

_______________________________________

Kim has been married to her high school sweetheart for 26 years. She and Mark have two beautiful daughters, Kaitlyn and Emily, a rescued mutt named Otis and a pleasantly plump cat named Oscar.

A former social worker and real estate agent, Kim now serves full time as Women's Ministry Director at High Mill Church in Canton, OH. Her mission is to inspire women toward courageous authenticity and freedom in Christ. She desires to be a woman who lives and loves like Jesus.

She is a Woven Women: a Woman of Virtue!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!