Monday, March 5, 2012

40 Days of Virtue: The Godly Mother

“She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for the task.”
Proverbs 31:17


The Godly Mother
By
Woven Leader Cheryl Simpson

 
I am indeed fortunate that my mother modeled for her three little girls what it meant to work hard. She rose early, set her mind on the task that was at hand, and she tackled life with brute force!

Imagine life nestled in the heart of Ohio, in the little town of Buckeye Lake. A family, living in a small cottage with no running water, and an outhouse for a bathroom. Imagine what a chore it was to do laundry. Such was our estate. But, oh, the memories! And, oh, this mother of mine~

   I remember when she helped to dig a water well so we could finally have water.
   I remember her working in a filter factory, only to come home, then soon leave again to do housecleaning for a local doctor who extended God’s love to our family.
   I remember how she carefully saved “Buckeye” stamps throughout the year so her little girls would have something for Christmas.
   I remember how she would bake bread so my sisters and I could go door-to-door and sell it. This truly became a joyful event. When we returned home, we counted the money and were always faithful to tithe what belonged to God. We were so excited that we could give to God each week. And, I praise the Lord that my mother made it a priority that her little girls attended church.
  I also remember my mother’s response when our school principals told her, that because of our poverty and grades, my mother should not even consider college for her three little girls. She was determined that each of us would graduate from college.

She believed.

She persevered.

She was determined.

She was courageous.

She was self-sacrificing.

She would NOT take one minute to dwell in the land of self pity!

She could see the LIGHT at the end of the tunnel.

What a legacy she has left for me.  And even for the next generation...

Today my daughter Tricia rises early and cares for the tasks of the day. Besides caring for her three little girls, she teaches little boys with severe disorders. She loves these boys and is reaching them academically as she also whispers the name of “Jesus” in their ears.

My daughter-in-law models the same godly character. She cares for the needs of her family by establishing a small business that greatly profits the family. She actively helps in her children’s school. She takes such interest in my son's life, that she occasionally even rides with him as he attends to his affairs as a police officer. She is up and at it and willing to "do what I need to do to care for my family.”
My pastor recently reminded his staff of some key points from 2 Chronicles 15, which tie perfectly to the Proverbs 31 woman:

*The Lord is with you when you are with Him. Selah (Stop and Ponder!)

*If you seek Him, He will be found by you. Selah

*Be STRONG! Do not give up and your work will be rewarded. Selah

*Seek God eagerly. Selah
Mothers...
Daughters...
Keep on keeping on, with your eyes firmly focused on Jesus, the Author and the Finisher of our faith!

"As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, my God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."



Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene.

She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!










2 comments:

  1. Cheryl, thank you for your encouraging words. You are truly one of the most beautiful women I have ever met, not just on the outside but were it is most important in your heart. I thank God for placing you in my life.
    Lynn Haney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, You are one of the most amazing, inspiring, God loving and wonderful woman that I have been blessed to know. I love you and your encouraging words. Kristy Shaner

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!