Friday, March 2, 2012

40 Days of Virtue: The Servant





 "She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
and plan the day’s work for her servant girls."
Proverbs 31:15

The Servant
by Kelly Tenney

As a kid I was crazy energetic and loved to be around other people. There was no task too great for my energy or for the size of my heart. I had a soft sport for those in need and always liked the challenge of trying to fulfill it. Sometimes the challenge was simply to bring joy to someone's day with kind words. Other times it was the challenge of caring for someone's needs.

Throughout my teen and adult years, I've found I have a soft spot for kids. I seem to search out those who have few friends, hurting homes, and emotional wounds. One day I met a girl who lived in a house that was falling apart. Not only was her home a wreck, her family was also unstable. I grew to truly love this girl. I picked her up every Sunday before church and encouraged my family to help. And they did! 

We bought school supplies, clothes, sheets, personal care items. She became very close to my family. Even years after I married and moved away, my family continued to take her to church every Sunday. When I see her now, married and healthy, I think how amazing God is and how He used us to impact her life. At the time it was all I knew to do. I didn't realize the impact it would have. Today, her family is still in shambles. But she is standing strong. It thrills me to see how God used me to love and serve her into a relationship with Him!
In the scripture it says

"She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day."
All I can hear is SERVANT. The Godly woman loves to serve! And I imagine it isn't only her family that she loves to serve. I'm guessing she loves to serve everyone and anyone God sends her way.

I'm learning that it isn't necessarily about doing but about giving.
   I picture the Godly woman making breakfast, not thinking about all the stuff she has to do, or dragging her feet before her day begins.
   I imagine her heart feels blessed to prepare her family for their day.
   I see her packing their lunches, writing thoughtful notes to them, sharing why she thinks they are so great!
   I picture her taking time to make her husband's coffee just right, not because he's demanding; she does it out of love.

The desire here is not to be Super Woman, but to be a Serving Woman!  God calls us not only to serve him but to serve his people. Today, more than ever, women need each other. It's so important for us to pour into each other, to lift each other's spirits. Our view of ourselves as women will be so different if we intentionally serve one another in love instead of serving the loves of this world.

Take a minute to pray this prayer with me...
"Awesome God, I thank you for the opportunity to serve others. Please help me to be your hands and feet; to serve with a joyful heart. Help me to see the places in my life where I can better serve you by serving others. Thank you for setting the example of what serving looks like. Please help me to reflect you by putting others first in my life."

 
Kelly is a stay at home mom of two. She runs a small business from her home and keeps busy serving at The Firehouse, a campus of Newark Church of the Nazarene. She enjoys flip flops, coffee, and leading worship with her husband.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!