Tuesday, March 20, 2012

40 Days of Virtue: Leaving a Legacy

Leaving A Legacy
by
Woven Worship Leader
Melissa Anderson

"Her children will arise and call her blessed:
her husband also, as he praises her."
Proverbs 31:28

It was a typical crazy day in our home. When the alarm went off at 5:30am, I hit the floor with both feet running. Four loads of laundry, a loaded dishwasher, a vacuumed floor, breakfast and six phone calls later, I loaded my children into our Durango and headed out for a full day of errands.

As a singer/worship leader, I always have the latest music playing in the car. Most days I am ushered into the presence of God, even while driving. At times I will find myself worshiping to the extent of hands raised in praise as we travel about, running errands and tending to our daily tasks. (No worries! I keep one hand on the wheel!)
This particular day, as I pulled into the car wash and turned off the ignition, my daughter Amelia (age 3 at the time) chimed up from her car seat behind me in protest.
“MOMMY!!!!!!!! Turn the music back on. I am WORSHIPPING!”
I kind of giggled to myself and turned the radio back on. As the words “You tore the veil…You made a way” flooded the car, I looked in the rear view mirror to see my daughter's sweet angelic face, eyes closed and arms raised high. She was basking in the sheer glory of our Creator with all her childlike might. Whew! What a sight!

As daughters, mothers, wives, grandmothers, it's easy to get lost in the busy-ness of our day-to- day responsibilities. Sometimes, we even feel unimportant, like we've lost our  identity. Our lives are entirely wrapped up in the daily to-do's of caring for family. That's exactly how I was feeling when I drove into the car wash that day. But when I looked in the rear view mirror at the blessed face of my precious daughter, I realized just how very IMPORTANT my current vocation is.
 
Have you looked in the mirror lately? We often see a clearer reflection of ourselves in the faces, attitudes, and actions of our children. Little eyes are watching. Little ears are listening. Little mouths are repeating what those little ears hear us say.
 
On that ordinary day that is now so memorable, my daughter wasn’t acting on one of the many things I have told her to do. She was literally experiencing and living out what she witnessed me doing in the day-to-day routines of life. How exciting! And...How frightening! Both at the same time.

If we think about it, this is true for everyone we come in contact with. Our husbands, extended family, friends, acquaintances, even the clerks at the grocery store are influenced by the ways in which we practice our faith...and especially when we think no one is watching!

Take some time to reflect on your mirror of life. Pray, journal, seek God's guidance on these questions:
  • How is your daily life shaping your children or those around you?
  • What personal habits and practices are rubbing off on the ones you encounter daily?
  • What kind of legacy will you leave behind?
  • Are you imitating Jesus in how you live, what you say and do, and in the way that you treat others?

"Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that (Ephesians 5:1-2 The Message)."

________________________________________________________________
Melissa set aside her career in social work to fully devote herself to her family. She seeks God diligently as she strives to balance family and ministry, knowing that raising Godly children in a fallen world is the most demanding and rewarding vocation there is.

She is wife to Rod and mommy to Amelia and Theo. You will often find her singing her heart out to the Lord on a Sunday morning at Newark Naz.
She is a Woven Woman: A Woman of Virtue and leads our Woven Women of Worship! Love!
________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!