Saturday, March 17, 2012

40 Days of Virtue: How Nice Are You?



“When she speaks, her words are wise,
she gives instruction with kindness.”
Proverbs 31:26 

"How Nice Are You?"
by
Woven Leader Cheryl Simpson

She doesn’t have a mean bone in her body.
She knows when to speak and when to be quiet.
Her words are ALWAYS kindly spoken.

It's obvious that this particular woman thinks before she speaks. Her words are few. She lives by the motto that “less is best.” How we admire such a godly woman!

A familiar life verse in Micah 6:8 instructs us on how we are to live. “To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” It sounds like our Lord wants us to delight in being kind to others, and our words are especially important in all these aspects of living a life that pleases Him.

James , the brother of Jesus, writes a great deal about our tongue. He shares these pearls of wisdom with us:

"Everyone should be quick to listen, and slow to speak (James 1:19)."
"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless (James 1:26)."
"All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison (James 3:7)."
Wow! He certainly doesn't mince any words himself as he instructs us. Are you feeling convicted? challenged? encouraged? As women who love the Lord and choose to serve Him, we must be so careful to choose our words wisely. I am examining my own heart as I write this:
  • Am I slow to speak?
  • Do I ALWAYS speak in kindness?
  • Am I actively "taming my tongue"?
  • Do I share things that should be kept confidential? Can others trust my tongue?
  • Do I use my tongue for revenge or to hurt others?
  • How well am I listening, without an add-on? (I once heard it said and find it to be true, that we can’t learn when our mouth is moving!)
I love these words to a familiar hymn. Perhaps they will challenge and inspire your heart today.
“I Want to be Like Jesus"
"I have one deep, supreme desire- 
That I may be like Jesus. 
To this I fervently aspire- 
That I may be like Jesus. 
I want my heart his throne to be,
so that a watching world may see 
His likeness shining forth in me 
I want to be like Jesus.”

A Prayer from Scripture:
"May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blamess at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The who calls you is faithful and he will do it." ~I Thessalonians 5:23 



Cheryl is the grateful wife of 36 years to Ken. They have two children and five granddaughters. Previously a public school teacher, she now spends much of her week doing pastoral care for her church, Newark Church of the Nazarene.
She is a Woven Woman: a Woman of Virtue!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!