Friday, January 7, 2011

The Perfect Gift

     I really struggled over what to give my Woven leaders for Christmas this year. My inner voice was saying, "I want it to be something special, something meaningful." I thought the thought was my thought, but it turned out to be a "God-thought": a thought bigger than I thought
     As I went about my shopping and as the clock kept ticking, my thought was becoming a cry of desperation...to God...for a gift...for my gals. On a date that seemed too late, I awoke in the middle of the night with the answer: a sterling silver bracelet engraved with two hearts and the word "Sisters". Not thinking outside the box when I shopped, I had totally missed the possibility that "This was IT!" I admit, I turned this answer into a question.
     "Really? You want me to give them a "Sisters" bracelet? Isn't that a bit gimmicky or assuming?" And that's when God unveiled the real revelation. He cut past the over-use of our BFF lingo to the real heart of the matter:  We are ETERNAL Sisters!
     More than girlfriends in this life, more than another pseudo-feminine relationship, we are FOREVER in the fullest sense of that term WOVEN as only God can weave us INTO A SISTERHOOD with the blood OF our Savior Jesus CHRIST!
   This blew my mind! And, I admit, I thought it was going to blow my wallet as well. When I trekked back to buy them, the sale price had changed, and not in my favor. Besides that, there was only one left; I needed fourteen! I shared my dilemma with the clerk. It was amazing! A week later, the bracelets arrived at my doorstep after paying a lower-than-sale-price and no shipping charges.
     And the timing? Well, it was too late for Christmas, but just in time for our January 3rd leader gathering. The scripture for this month's session? The famous story of two sisters: Mary and Martha.
       I don't know about you, but when I think of all the incredible women God has placed in my life, and how there is never enough time to enjoy them, it thrills me to think that I will spend eternity with my sisters in Christ! I bask in the thought of it!
     The Perfect Gift? It's really not the bracelet at all! The perfect gift is the gift of eternal life.
 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son,
so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 NLT

A Story behind the Story:  My very first ladies group experience was in the Grace Brethren Church where I came to believe in Jesus Christ and accepted God's gift of eternal life at the age of eight. When I was twelve or so, I joined S.M.M., a group for teen and pre-teen girls. The acronym stands for Sisters of Mary & Martha...and we ARE! (won't it be fun to meet them in heaven?!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts & ideas...Leave a comment!